How to apply for a foundation programme
To apply for a foundation programme, you need to complete an online application form and submit some supporting documents with your application.
Applications made easy
- It is free to apply.
- There is no entrance test.
- Apply directly to the University of St Andrews, not through UCAS or Common App.
- Work at your pace, save your progress on your application and finish it later.
Steps to apply
Follow these simple steps to submit your application. You can save your progress at any time and finish your application later, if necessary.
Simply press 'submit' when you have finished filling out the application and uploading your required documents.
You should apply early in the application cycle as there are limited spaces available on the foundation programmes, and we make offers as applications come in.
Programmes starting September 2021
- Applications open: October 2020
- Application deadline: Sunday 1 August 2021
- Scholarship application deadline: Tuesday 30 March 2021. Find out more about the IFP September scholarship.
Programmes starting January 2022
- Applications open: 1 April 2021
- Application deadline: 30 November 2021
- Scholarship application deadline: Sunday 22 August 2021. Find out more about the IFP January scholarship.
If the application deadline has already passed, but you still wish to apply, please email email@example.com to check if the IFP team can still consider an application from you. The IFP team will only consider late applications if there are places available on the programme and after they have considered all applications made before the deadline.
After you submit your application
After you submit your application, you will receive confirmation that your application has been successfully submitted, and the message will include a nine-digit number - this is your unique identity number. You will then be able to track your application in the applicant portal (please allow one full working day before attempting to log in). To log in, you will need your ID number and the email address and password you used to create your application.
The IFP team will contact you within one to ten working days after you submit your application with a decision. If you submit all the required information (including additional supporting documents), the team will try to provide you with a decision within five to seven working days.