Postgraduate; leading to a Master of Letters (MLitt)
- Start date: 9 September 2019
- End date: 30 September 2020
If you started this programme in 2018, you can find information about 2018 entry on the 2018 Creative Writing page. Information about all programmes from previous years of entry can be found in the archive.
One year full time
A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree. At the discretion of staff, this requirement may occasionally be waived for candidates who demonstrate exceptional talent in their creative submission.
If you studied your first degree outside the UK, see the international entry requirements.
English language proficiency. See English language tests and qualifications.
The qualifications listed are indicative minimum requirements for entry. Some academic Schools will ask applicants to achieve significantly higher marks than the minimum. Obtaining the listed entry requirements will not guarantee you a place, as the University considers all aspects of every application including, where applicable, the writing sample, personal statement, and supporting documents.
UK and EU: £9,000
31 January 2019 for those also applying for School of English scholarships; 1 June 2019 for all other applicants. Applicants should apply as early as possible for international visa purposes.
- supplementary application to the School of English (Word)
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date.
- academic critical essay on an English literature topic (approximately 2,000 words)
- portfolio of original verse (10 poems) or prose (10 to 15 pages)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
For more guidance, see supporting documents and references for postgraduate taught programmes.