Clubs and societies
The University of St Andrews is home to over 150 different societies, which are run by the Students' Association. The range of societies covers nearly every possible interest, from food and drink, arts, media and music, charitable, ‘fan and geek’, political, as well as academic and educational. A full list of current student societies can be found on the Students' Association website.
If you can't find a society to suit your interests, then the Students' Association can help you start one.
The Students' Association is also responsible for running 11 subcommittees or 'super-societies', of which all students are members. These are:
- The Charities Campaign is the official charitable subcommittee of the St Andrews Students’ Association. They're all about raising bucket-loads of money to support the widest range of causes possible.
- The Debating Society has competed in the finals of the European Championships and the semi-finals of the World Championships. They also hold a weekly debate for all in Parliament Hall on topical issues, often bringing in top quality speakers from around the country.
- The Design Team is a volunteer student organisation which is part of the Students' Association, and they are available for hire for any design project you need.
- The Ents Crew powers Union events. If you thought that an event looked cool, then that was the Ents, and they'd love you to get involved.
- Saints LGBT+ is a social and welfare group dedicated to providing an open environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transpeople students and supporters within St Andrews; they welcome everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Find out more about LGBT+ life at St Andrews.
- Mermaids (Theatre) is the funding body for student performing arts in St Andrews. Mermaids allocates funding and supports all students to explore their own creativity with a friendly safety net if required!
- Music is Love is the Students' Association music society, which began as a collective of individuals passionate about showcasing quality acts in St Andrews.
- The Societies Committee is responsible for supporting all Students' Association societies, helping students start new societies, and funding various activities run by students for students.
- STAR (St Andrews Radio) is the University of St Andrews' Student Radio Station. You can listen to STAR at all hours at St Andrews Radio.
- SVS (St Andrews Voluntary Service) tasks itself with assigning volunteers, mainly from the student body of the University, to local projects in and around St Andrews.
- The Postgraduate Society – all matriculated postgraduate students, both taught and research, are automatically a member of the Postgraduate Society. They deal with academic representation and organise events for postgraduates.