As a student at the University, few buildings in St Andrews will be as important to you as the library. The University stocks a large number of books and has experienced staff to help you access and use the library's resources to support your study and research.
At the University of St Andrews, you can study the way you want to: in the library cafe, in an individual study area or a group study room – you choose. You can also print, photocopy and scan in the library and use the huge number of online resources and tools we provide.
The Main University Library
The Main University Library is located in the centre of St Andrews. It's open for over 100 hours per week during the semester, including weekends. The library offers a huge number of resources, such as:
- over one million volumes.
- more than 30,000 e-books.
- thousands of print and electronic journals.
- academic databases
- an extensive collection of DVDs.
- computers for you to use on each level of the library.
Our library also offers expert support from members of our academic liaison librarian team, who can provide help and training on finding information in the library and online.
Using the library is quick and simple. You'll be offered an orientation tour when you arrive, and the easy-to-use self-service machines mean it takes just seconds to check your books in and out.
The University Library's Special Collections
The University Library’s Special Collections include around 210,000 rare printed books, extensive manuscript and photographic collections, and the University archives, which date back to the early 15th century.
There are a number of libraries elsewhere in the University. Those managed by the University Library include:
- The JF Allen Library, which holds books and journals for most science subjects. It has recently been renovated to a high specification and offers a variety of quiet individual and group study spaces.
- St Mary's Library for Divinity and Medieval History, including the historic King James Library.
- The beautifully renovated Martyrs Kirk Research Library, which can be used by researchers and postgraduate research students.
You will also be entitled to borrow from the nearby libraries of the universities of Dundee and Abertay.