Coronavirus information and guidance

Travelling to the UK

When travelling to the UK, there are a few things to consider, in particular whether or not you can use the new eGates , or arrive via the Republic of Ireland.

Travel advice

If you are planning on travelling outside of the UK during your studies, you should consider taking out travel insurance as the National Health Service (NHS) only covers you within the UK.

Keep copies of your travel documents, including every stamped page in your passport. You may need to refer to these for further immigration applications, or in case your passport is lost or stolen.  


Using E-Gates

The UK Government has expanded the use of eGates to allow nationals of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA faster entry through the UK border. EGates can be used by students on a Student visa and their dependants (over the age of 12 years). Students from other countries who also want to benefit from faster entry may want to consider becoming a Registered Traveller. This service is available from the UK Government and costs £70 for one year. 


Enter via Republic of Ireland

The Republic of Ireland and the UK form part of the Common Travel Area (CTA). There is no immigration control between the two countries, so if you transit to the UK through the ROI you will not meet with a Border Force official.

If you have sought entry clearance permission as a Standard Visitor, either by obtaining a visa, or through the Electronic Visa Waiver scheme, you will not need to meet with Immigration Control, but you should keep a copy of your EVW and/or your boarding pass and flight itinerary to show when you entered the UK.

If you are a non-visa national and enter the UK via the Republic of Ireland without having secured a visa, you will be given permission to be in the UK for six months . You will be able to study but employment (paid or unpaid) will not be permitted. We recommend that you keep your boarding passes or travel itinerary in a safe place as you will need to evidence your date of arrival in the UK.