Do I need a visa?
Whether or not you require a visa to come to the UK to undertake a course of study at the University of St Andrews will depend upon your nationality and the duration of the course you intend to study.
Irish nationals have a special status in the UK and are not impacted by Brexit.
If you are an Irish national, your rights in the UK are protected under the Common Travel Area arrangements: owing to this ‘special status’, you are treated as being settled in the UK from the day you arrive. You will not need a visa to study here.
The government’s position is that Irish people, whether existing residents or future migrants, have a general right to live in the United Kingdom which is entirely separate to their rights as EU citizens.
The type of visa you need depends on how long your study period is:
- If you are studying for six months or less, you should apply for a Standard visitor visa.
- If you are studying for more than six months, you should apply for a Student visa.
Standard visitor visa
The Standard visitor visa is only suitable for:
- a Study Abroad programme
- a summer course (not the Pre-sessional english language course)
- junior semester abroad
- PhD student wishing to enter for viva.
This visa prohibits you from:
- working (paid or unpaid)
- extending your visa in any category from within the UK
- bringing your dependants.
Students from certain countries may be able to apply for this visa at immigration control once they arrive in the UK. Find out if you need a visa before you arrive.
Only certain nationalities are permitted to use ePassport gates if arriving as a visitor:
- a national of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA
The Student visa is the only option for junior year abroad, undergraduate, and postgraduate students intending to study for:
- a full degree
- year-long exchange
- Pre-sessional English language course
- an International Foundation programme
Find out more information about Student visas.