Apply for a short-term visa
If you are an international student studying in the UK for six months or less, you may need to apply for a short-term study visa before you enter the UK. Find out if you need a visa.
You can apply for a short-term study visa up to three months before your date of travel to the UK. You should get a decision within three weeks.
You must apply online for a short-term study visa and pay the fee.
After you complete the online application, you will be required to make an appointment to have your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) taken at a visa application centre.
After your biometrics have been recorded, you will be required to submit your biometric receipt (obtained at your biometric appointment) along with your supporting documents.
Your supporting documents need to be originals and not photocopies. You should also provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English.
You also need to make sure that your passport or travel document has at least one page, blank on both sides. This is where your visa vignette will be attached.
As part of your application, you will need to provide the following:
- your original University offer letter stating the course name, duration and cost (including accommodation)
- your passport or other valid travel identification
- one extra photograph that meets the UKVI photo rules
- evidence that you can support yourself during your studies (for example, bank statements or payslips for the last six months)
- details of where you intend to stay (for example, your University hall of residence or private residence) and your travel plans; you shouldn’t pay for travel until you get your visa
- your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
- ATAS certificate, if applicable
- If you are under the age of 18 at the time of your application, you must supply a letter from your parent or guardian confirming their relationship with you, that they give consent to the visa application, and that they consent to you living in and travelling to the UK independently. You must also provide their contact details.
Find out more about required documents for short-term visas.