The George McElveen III Scholarship
This entrant scholarship is for international students from North Carolina, Georgia, or Virginia who will be studying at St Andrews for an undergraduate degree starting in 2020, and have an interest in golf. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of financial need.
Ordinarily resident in North Carolina, Georgia, or Virginia (United States)
Domicile for fee status
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrant students in 2020
- Selection is on the basis of financial need.
- An interest in golf, indicated by the submission on application of a short essay (200 words maximum) explaining this interest.
What does it cover?
Annually for the duration of the student's undergraduate programme.
Value (per year)
£8,000 per year.
Type of award
Contribution towards tuition fees.
Number of awards available
(Note: scholarships will only be awarded if suitable candidates are found)
How to apply
After applying for your chosen course beginning in the 2020-2021 academic year, you must allow at least two working days for processing and issue of your log in details before you can apply for this scholarship.
You can access the application form through Scholarships and Funding within My Application (applicant portal).
Information for USA applicants
If you are including a Student Aid Report (SAR) with your scholarship application, please upload this in place of the household income evidence requested in the scholarship application form. To find out how to complete the FAFSA and receive your Student Aid Report, or for general information about US loans, please visit the Loans for US students webpages.
This copy of your student aid report is for your scholarship application only and will not be transferred to the University’s Finance Department for processing your loan application.
When do applications open?
Scholarship application deadline
25 March 2020
At what stage of my course application can I apply for this scholarship?
You can apply for the scholarship after you have submitted your application for a place at St Andrews. Allow at least two working days for processing and issue of your log in details before applying for the scholarship.
You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on "View my applications" in the Scholarships and Funding section of My Application by May 2020.
Requirements of the Scholarship
If applying to this scholarship, please be aware of the following requirements:
- Core personal details may be passed to the benefactors of your scholarship.Your name, the name of your town of origin, school/college and subject of study will be passed to the donor of the scholarship with your consent.
- Your scholarship award in subsequent years of study is conditional upon your successful completion of the academic requirements to progress in your proposed subject of study at the University of St Andrews. If your scholarship is subject-related then your award is usually also conditional upon your continuing to study that specific subject.
- Attendance at Development related scholarship events (including invitations to meet the donors) is strongly encouraged. You will be invited to these as appropriate by the Development Office.
- Submission of reports throughout the period of scholarship support. You are required to submit an Introductory Biography at the start of your award period and the Development Office will contact you towards the end of the academic session for a report on your time at St Andrews to share with the donors of your award. This will be an annual cycle for the duration of your award.