International Excellence Scholarship
This scholarship deadline has now passed.
The International Excellence Scholarship is available to international students who will be studying at St Andrews for an undergraduate degree starting in 2019 with an overseas fee status. The Selection Committee seeks applicants who are gifted students with academic excellence. The successful scholars will be expected to fulfil an ambassadorial role and represent the University at a number of events.
Domicile for fee status
Overseas (not EU)
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrants in 2019
(Please note that this scholarship is not available to students who are transferring to St Andrews, or to those who have deferred entry.)
All excluding Medicine
(Please note that this scholarship is not available to students applying for BA International Honours.)
All excluding Medicine
- Only available to students entering their first year of an undergraduate degree (this includes direct entry into year two of course).
- The Selection Committee seeks applicants who are gifted students with academic excellence. The successful scholars will be expected to fulfil an ambassadorial role and represent the University at a number of events.
- You will be required to provide a statement of motivation in support of your application (not more than 250 words). This should include your reasons for applying for the Scholarship, explaining how you would expect to benefit from the opportunities the award provides, and describing how you think you might contribute to the community while studying at the University of St Andrews.
- Recipients of the scholarship will be expected to engage with our Student Ambassadors Scheme. Work through the scheme is varied, but will likely entail engaging in outreach activities and assisting our Admissions staff with events aimed at prospective students and offer holders to help share your experience of being a student at St Andrews.
- You will also be required to provide two references; both an academic and personal letter of recommendation (not more than 200 words each). The academic reference could be from a teacher, college counsellor or someone who knows your academic capabilities well. The personal reference should be given from a non-family member who will serve as a personal character reference. For example an academic advisor who is aware of your personal attributes, a current or former employer, senior staff member in an organisation where you have volunteered.
It is extremely important that you apply to us for funding giving complete and accurate information.
Your course and funding application are not linked and applying for funding in no way impedes your course application.
What does it cover?
Annually for the duration of the student's undergraduate programme
Value (per year)
Type of award
To cover tuition fees and a contribution towards living costs
Number of awards available
(Note: all scholarships will only be awarded if suitable candidates are found)
How to apply
This scholarship is available for application through Scholarships and Funding. After you have applied to a new course beginning in the 2019-2020 academic year, you can access Scholarships and Funding through My Application.
When do applications open?
Early October 2018
Scholarship application deadline
20 January 2019
At what stage of my course application can I apply for this scholarship?
You can apply for the scholarship after you have submitted your application for a place at St Andrews, allow at least two working days for processing and issue of your log in details. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on "View my applications" in the Scholarships and Funding section of My Application by March 2019.