China Scholarship Council and University of St Andrews Scholarship
- Application period opens
- Tuesday 10 October 2023
- Application period closes
- This scholarship deadline has now passed (Thursday 11 January 2024)
The University of St Andrews has a collaborative agreement with the China Scholarship Council to develop research collaborations between the UK and Chinese universities and research institutions. Funding is available through the China Scholarship Council – University of St Andrews Scholarships (PhD Programmes) to full and joint PhD students who have been offered a place to study a PhD at the University of St Andrews.
Before applying for the China Scholarship Council and University of St Andrews Scholarship, please read the China Scholarship Council’s terms and conditions. During the scholarship application process, you will be asked to confirm that you have read and agree to these terms and conditions. Please visit the CSC website for more information.
Value of award (per year)
Full tuition fees and local research costs will be covered by the University of St Andrews for the duration of the programme (in respect of any period covered by CSC funding).
The China Scholarship Council will cover the living costs to include accommodation and subsistence, return international airfare to the UK, together with passport and visa application fees.
Duration of award
Scholarships are awarded for up to 48 months (up to 4 years) for full-time study and up to 24 months for visiting or independent PhD students.
Available to students studying at:
Domicile for fee status
Available to faculty members from:
Mode of study
All applicants must meet the required English Language requirements before being made an unconditional offer.
The minimum requirements for any postgraduate research student can be found in Profile 7-D (Direct entry). However, individual Schools can reserve the right to request higher test scores than this, and will normally require the same English language test scores as those stated for their postgraduate taught programmes.
CSC applicants must be nationals of and ordinarily resident in mainland China (not including Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan). You must also be intending to return to China once your course is completed.
How to apply
Apply for a PhD place and through the Scholarships and funding catalogue at St Andrews:
- Apply for a PhD place at the University of St Andrews by completing the research application form, by Monday 8 January 2024. Candidates should select the drop down option I have applied for or I will be receiving a bursary or scholarship in the Fees and Funding section of the application form, and specify CSC St Andrews Scholarship (4 years) or CSC St Andrews Scholarship (visiting PhD student) in the free text box.
- After submitting the research application form in step 1, you can apply for scholarships and funding by logging into My Application where you can search and apply for the CSC/St Andrews Scholarship. After applying for your chosen course beginning in the 2024-2025 academic year, you must allow at least three working days for processing and issue of your log in details before you can apply for this scholarship.
- Enter the catalogue click on View the scholarships and funding catalogue to apply.
- Select 2024/5 as the Academic Year and click Refresh list.
- Locate China Scholarship Council - University of St Andrews Scholarships (PhD) in the list of scholarships (using the filter box if necessary), click Apply and complete the short application form.
- Application deadline: 23:59 (GMT) on Thursday 11 January 2024.
- Applicants may also use the catalogue to search and apply for other scholarships for which they are eligible.
- Successful candidates will be issued with an offer letter from the University of St Andrews, date to be confirmed.
- The offer will clarify that the University of St Andrews will cover the candidate’s full tuition fees and local research costs, subject to their obtaining CSC’s support.
Apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC)
After receiving the offer letter from the University of St Andrews candidates must then apply to CSC for funding by completing an application, including references, for funding - CSC online application system opening dates to be confirmed. Please apply to the China Scholarship Council online.
What happens next?
- CSC will review candidates' eligibility according to CSC requirements and priorities.
- The successful candidates will be informed in writing with further information about becoming an entrant at St Andrews.
CSC application timeline
- 08 January 2024: Stage 1: PhD application deadline. Applicants must submit an application for a PhD programme by 23:59 (GMT) on Monday 08 January 2024.
- 11 January 2024: Stage 1: Scholarship application deadline. Applicants must submit their scholarship application in the Scholarships and Funding Catalogue by 23:59 (GMT) on Thursday 11 January 2024.
- 10 to 31 March 2024: Stage 2: Online CSC application system opens; nominated applicants will be expected to complete their submission before the deadline.
- June 2024: CSC will notify all applicants about the outcome of their application.
Terms and conditions
Please read the University of St Andrews scholarships terms and conditions (opens in new tab)
Scholars must also comply with the CSC's terms and conditions, available on the CSC website.