SFC Funded Places
The University of St Andrews is pleased to offer scholarships funded by the SFC (Scottish Funding Council) for postgraduate study. Scholarships will be available to students from Scotland or non-UK EU countries on selected Taught Masters programmes. The scholarships are based on academic merit and financial need.
Domiciled (ordinary residence) in Scotland, or EU country other than the UK.
Domicile for fee status
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrant students only
School of Art History
- MLitt Museum & Gallery Studies (full time)
School of Biology
- MSc Sustainable Aquaculture (distance learning)
School of Management
- MLitt Banking and Finance
- MLitt Finance and Management
- MLitt Human Resource Management
- MLitt International Business
- MLitt Management
- MSc Management and Information Technology
- MLitt Marketing
School of Medicine
- MSc Health Psychology
School of Physics & Astronomy
- MSc Photonics and Optoelectronic Devices
School of Psychology & Neuroscience
- PG Certificate Psychology of Dementia Care (distance learning)
Art History, Biology, Management, Medicine, Physics & Astronomy, Psychology & Neuroscience.
MRes, PG Dip and PG Cert programmes are not eligible for this scholarship (with the exception of PG Certificate Psychology of Dementia Care).
What does it cover?
Duration of award
- MSc Sustainable Aquaculture (distance learning): 2 years
- All other courses: 1 year
Value of award
The award covers full tuition fees for the standard eligible St Andrews programmes offered, with the exception of MSc Sustainable Aquaculture.
The MSc Sustainable Aquaculture (in conjunction with our external partner 5M) has an exceptional programme fee which is funded as follows: £7,500 SFC award, plus an additional £6,740 funded by the University of St Andrews, amounting to a total of £14,240 towards tuition fees for the duration of the two-year course.
Tuition or maintenance award?
- Tuition fees
Number of awards available
- Art History: 5 places
- Biology: 6 places
- Management: 7 places
- Medicine: 5 places
- Physics & Astronomy: 3 places
- Psychology & Neuroscience: 3 places
How to apply
This scholarship is available for application through the Scholarships and Funding catalogue.
- If you have applied to a Postgraduate Taught course beginning in the 2018-2019 academic year, you can access Scholarships and Funding through My Application. You should wait until the next working day after submission before attempting to access My Application.
- If you are a current student at St Andrews, you can access Scholarships and Funding through MySaint. However, you should wait until after you have applied for your intended postgraduate programme before doing so, to ensure that the scholarship application is linked to that course.
When do applications open?
Scholarship application deadlines
- SFC Museum & Gallery Studies Scholarship: 15 June 2018
- SFC Sustainable Aquaculture Scholarship: 27 August 2018
- SFC Management Scholarship: 15 June 2018
- SFC Health Psychology Scholarship: 11 May 2018
- SFC Photonics and Optoelectronic Devices Scholarship: 22 June 2018
- SFC Psychology of Dementia Care Scholarship (September 2018 entry): 27 August 2018
- SFC Psychology of Dementia Care Scholarship (January 2019 entry): 17 December 2018
When should I apply to my chosen course?
You must apply for a place on your chosen course at St Andrews before applying to the scholarship. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the scholarship.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on "View my funding applications" in Scholarships and Funding as soon as possible after the application deadline.