The Douglas and Gordon Bonnyman Scholarship2021 entry
This scholarship is available to postgraduate research students from any country studying for a PhD in the arts or humanities. It is generously supported by the Linda and Gordon Bonnyman Charitable Trust, and is based partly on financial need.
Domicile for fee status
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales, EU, International.
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrants in 2021
Arts or humanities
Applicants must articulate a need for support through a personal financial statement. Applicants from outside the UK should refer to the "How to apply" section below for more information on household income.
Duration of award
Value of award (per year)
Tuition or maintenance award?
The award will be paid against tuition fees first, and the balance paid as maintenance if the tuition fee rate is below the annual award amount.
Number of awards available
This scholarship is available for application through the Scholarships and Funding catalogue.
- After you have applied for your chosen Postgraduate Research course, you can apply for scholarships and funding by logging into My Application. You should wait until the next working day after submission before attempting to access My Application.
- If you are a current student at St Andrews, you can access Scholarships and Funding through MySaint. However, you should wait until after you have applied for your intended postgraduate programme before doing so, to ensure that the scholarship application is linked to that course.
We recommend using the funding financial profile to help calculate your household income before you apply for any needs-based scholarships. You can find the funding financial profile in Scholarships and Funding, "Create my funding financial profile".
Information for non-UK applicants
Household income will be assessed on below average country-specific income rates. When entering your income details in the scholarship application form, please convert your local currency to Pounds Sterling (GBP) and indicate the exchange rate you have used in the relevant question in the scholarship application form.
Scholarship application deadline
28 January 2021
At what stage of my course application can I apply?
Please apply for the award after you have submitted your application for a place at St Andrews. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the award.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on "View my applications" in Scholarships and Funding by late March/early April 2021.
Requirements of the scholarship
If you apply to this scholarship, details from your course application may be passed to the selection panel and scholarship administrators for the purpose of effective distribution of the funds to eligible applicants.
If applying to this scholarship, please be aware of the following requirements:
- Core personal details may be passed to the benefactors of your scholarship. Your name, the name of your town of origin, school/college and subject of study will be passed to the donor of the scholarship with your consent.
- Your scholarship award in subsequent years of study is conditional upon your successful completion of the academic requirements to progress in your proposed subject of study at the University of St Andrews. If your scholarship is subject-related then your award is usually also conditional upon your continuing to study that specific subject.
- Attendance at Development related scholarship events (including invitations to meet the donors) is strongly encouraged. You will be invited to these as appropriate by the Development Office.
- Submission of reports throughout the period of scholarship support. You are required to submit an Introductory Biography at the start of your award period and the Development Office will contact you towards the end of each semester for a report on your time at St Andrews to share with the donors of your award. This will be an annual cycle for the duration of your award.