The Douglas and Gordon Bonnyman Scholarships
This scholarship is available to postgraduate research students from any country studying for a PhD in the arts or humanities. It is generously supported by the Linda and Gordon Bonnyman Charitable Trust, and is based partly on financial need.
Domicile for fee status
Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales, EU, International.
Level of study
Year of entry
Entrants in 2018
Arts or humanities
Applicants must articulate a need for support through a personal financial statement. Applicants from outside the UK should refer to the "How to apply" section below for more information on household income.
What does it cover?
Duration of award
Value of award (per year)
Tuition or maintenance award?
The award will be paid against tuition fees first, and the balance paid as maintenance if the tuition fee rate is below the annual award amount.
Number of awards available
How to apply
This scholarship is available for application through the Scholarships and Funding catalogue.
- After you have applied for your chosen Postgraduate Research course, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access the catalogue.
- If you are a current student at St Andrews, you can access Scholarships and Funding through MySaint. However, you should wait until after you have applied for your intended postgraduate programme before doing so, to ensure that the scholarship application is linked to that course.
Please note that as part of the application for the Douglas and Gordon Bonnyman Scholarship, you will be asked to provide a statement of support from your prospective supervisor. It is therefore recommended that you ensure your supervisor is able to provide this in good time for the scholarship deadline before starting an application.
We recommend using the funding financial profile to help calculate your household income before you apply for any needs-based scholarships. You can find the funding financial profile in Scholarships and Funding, "Create my funding financial profile".
Scholarship application deadline
11 April 2018
At what stage of my course application can I apply?
Please apply for the award after you have submitted your application for a place at St Andrews. You do not need to wait until you have received an offer of a place before applying for the award.
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
The outcome of your scholarship application will be available on "View my applications" in Scholarships and Funding by early June 2018.
Requirements of the scholarship
If applying to this scholarship, please be aware of the following requirements:
- Your name, the name of your town of origin, school/college and subject of study will be passed to the benefactors of your scholarship. These details may also be used in University publications and passed to the University’s Development and Press Offices to use in promoting fundraising for other Scholarships. Further details will only be released with your express permission.
- Your scholarship award in subsequent years of study is conditional upon your successful completion of the academic requirements to progress in your proposed subject of study at the University of St Andrews. If your scholarship is subject-related then your award is usually also conditional upon your continuing to study that specific subject.
- Attendance at Development related scholarship events (including invitations to meet the donors) is strongly encouraged. You will be invited to these as appropriate by the Development Office.
- Submission of reports throughout the period of scholarship support. You are required to submit an Introductory Biography at the start of your award period and the Development Office will contact you towards the end of each semester for a report on your time at St Andrews to share with the donors of your award. This will be an annual cycle for the duration of your award.