Applying through UCAS
Most applicants for first-year entry to the University of St Andrews will apply to other universities as well via a single online Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) application. Students from the UK, EU and other overseas countries can all apply through the online UCAS application process.
If you wish to apply to the University via UCAS, this checklist will help you through the application process.
- Take a look at the courses available at the University of St Andrews. All courses can be found online in the course search section or the Undergraduate Prospectus.
- Check the minimum grades and any subject specific prerequisites for the course that you are interested in. For UK qualifications, these can be found on all online course pages and at the back of the Undergraduate Prospectus. All other students can find the international entry requirements on the entry requirements page.
- You should also check the Faculty entry requirements for the course you are interested in.
- If there is a choice of course between the Faculties of Arts (MA) and Science (BSc), you must decide which Faculty is for you. If you are applying for a course in one Faculty which is also offered in another Faculty, great care should be taken to cite the UCAS code numbers correctly; for example the course code for the Psychology (MA) degree differs from the Psychology (BSc) degree.
- Once you have decided which course and faculty is the most appropriate, note the UCAS course code of your chosen course. This is the four digit code which can be found under the key information for your course.
- Draft your UCAS personal statement carefully so that it reflects your choice of course. You can find more information about what we look for in an application on the how to apply page.
- Submit your UCAS application using the correct UCAS course code by the appropriate deadline. The current UCAS deadlines can be found below.
STA is the UCAS name of the University of St Andrews and our UCAS number code is S36. UCAS course codes can be found in the course search section.
The UCAS deadlines differ according to your fee status. You can find out more about the different fee statuses on the tuition fees page.
The relevant deadlines for submission of applications to UCAS are:
- 15 October for Home fee applicants applying to study Medicine or who are also applying to Oxford or Cambridge.
- 15 January for all other Home fee applicants.
- 31 January for those applying to Medicine who are classed as Overseas fee payers.
- 30 June for all other applicants who are classified as Overseas fee payers.
No distinction is drawn between applications that arrive early and those that arrive at UCAS just before the closing date for Home fee applicants of 15 January. It is, however, in your own interest to submit your form as soon as possible.
From September 2019 the deadline for all students applying to Medicine - including those who are classed as Overseas fee payers - will be 15 October.
How to submit your application
Applications should be made online using the UCAS website, where full information on the application procedure will be found. An application fee is payable to UCAS when you submit your completed application.
After you apply
For information on when you should expect a response to your application, as well as the different kinds of offer the University extends, take a look at our after you apply page.