Skip navigation to content

Frequently asked questions

Which work is paid and which is voluntary?

For Junior Ambassadors and Senior Ambassadors, rostered work undertaken on Visiting Days or for Individual Tours will be paid. Some Widening Access Work is paid but most work is undertaken on a voluntary basis. There may be other ad hoc work available throughout the year which will be paid including Summer Schools. For Associate Ambassadors, all duties undertaken are done so on a voluntary basis except Summer Schools.

What sort of contract do I have?

Junior and Senior Ambassador are employed on Bank Worker Contracts. This will remain in effect until 30 June in your year of graduation. (Please note that if your graduation date alters, you must advise us of the new date.) During this time should you undertake work for any other department within the University, you will not be required to complete a new contract, only to provide the department with your Salary Reference Number which can be found on your payslip.

What are the terms and conditions of my employment?

Bank Worker Terms and Conditions can be found on the University website and you should make yourself familiar with this document: Bank Worker Terms and Conditions (PDF, 284 KB).

How do I submit my hours?

For Individual Tours, or other ad hoc work, you should complete an individual timesheet which will be available from the Admissions reception. This should be fully completed with your name, contact details, salary reference number and the nature of the work undertaken (A new sheet will be required each month.). This should then be approved by a member of staff or the Principal Ambassador Team. 

When do I get paid for the work I have carried out?

Ambassadors are paid on the second last working day of each month for work carried out in the month previously. For example, any work undertaken in between 1 and 30 September would be paid on the second last working day of October. Please refer to the staff pay dates for more information. 

Where do I get my payslip?

You can access your payslips via the University's Self Service facility, where you will also be able to view and amend your personal details (such as your address at the end of each year). To access your current payslips, or to amend personal information go to the HR Self Service and enter your current University username and password.  No hard copies of payslips be delivered to reception unless specifically requested from HR.

I have changed my bank details. What should I do?

You should contact the admissions reception, either by calling in person or by emailing your query to

Do I need to update my address each year?

You should ensure that you update your address details each year; this should be done by emailing, stating 'update of address' in the subject field.

My contract has expired, when will I receive my P45?

Your P45 will be sent to the address Salaries hold on file for you at the time your contract expires. Therefore it is extremely important that you make us aware of any changes in address.

I have been taxed on my pay, is this correct?

All students who are working during term time are liable to pay Income Tax and National Insurance.

If I have another query regarding my pay, who should I contact?

In the first instance you should contact unless your query is regarding Visiting Day pay in which case all queries should be directed to If the Principal Ambassador Team are unable to answer your query they will direct it to the relevant person on your behalf.