Skip navigation to content

Extending your visa in the UK


Under the Points Based System for migrants, students can only study at the education provider that issued the Confirmation of Acceptance for Study to them. If you are currently in the UK and have a Tier 4 visa for an institution other than the University of St Andrews and you are planning to come here to study, you will need to make an application for a new visa before you begin your studies with us. If you have made your visa application but have not had a response to your application, you will be permitted to start your studies as long as you have proof of posting for your application.


Students need to be very aware of when their permission to be in the UK is due to expire and plan ahead to make a complete and timely application for further leave to remain.  In many instances you will not be permitted to make your application from within the UK and must make it from your home country. ALL students should contact the International Student Adviser

We would recommend that before you start the application process you should read the UK Visa & Immigration Tier 4 Student Policy Guidance which can be found on the UKVI website, paying particular attention to the required documents and the specified format of these documents.

You will need to complete a Tier 4 (General) Student visa applicaiton via the UKVI website.

Under the Points Based System students need to have 40 points.

The Immigration Healthcare Surcharge was introduced by the Home Office to ensure that temporary, non-EEA migrants contribute to the National Health Service (NHS) in a manner in line with their immigration status.  The Surcharge is not a visa fee, but it will be collected by the Home Office at point of visa application and will go directly to the NHS. It will give migrants access to the NHS on the same terms as a permanent UK resident.

  • You must be studying at an approved education provider that is registered with the UKVI as a sponsor. The University of St Andrews is registered in this category.
  • You must provide a Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) from an institution detailed above. This will be in the form of a unique number entered into the application form. By providing the CAS you will be allocated 30 points.
  • Evidence of funds. You will need to show that you have all of your tuition fees and living / maintenance costs. If you are on a course of under 9 months you will need £1015 for each month of the course; if your course is more than nine months in duration you will need £9135.  For proof of funds students will be awarded 10 points. 
  • Available funds must be in cash and banked in your name or in an account held by your parents. Shares, bonds, pension funds and similar accounts will no longer be acceptable proof of finances.
  • If you are to be accompanied by your dependants you will need to show that you have enough money to support them - details of these requirements are available on the UKVI website.
  • Evidence of finances must indicate that the money has been available to you for a period of 28 days at date of application (date you pay for the application on line).

Ask a question



Advice and Support Centre
79 North Street
St Andrews
KY16 9AL
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 (46)2020


Student services

Eden Court
The Scores
St Andrews
KY16 9AS
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: 01334 462720
Fax:01334 464007

Eden Court location map

Encountered any difficulties?

Not the right match?  If you haven’t formed a good rapport with your Adviser or you’ve encountered any difficulties and wish to speak informally to someone, please contact Ruth Unsworth ( or Lara Meischke (, Deputy Directors of Student Services, in the first instance.

Please also be aware that the University has Complaints Handling Procedure for formally addressing concerns.


  • Book an Appointment online