Skip navigation to content


NHS GP Service

All students studying at the university should ensure they are registered with one of the two local NHS medical practices in order to access healthcare. During the matriculation process, students will be able to register with one of the NHS medical practices. You will need to present your student ID, proof of your term time address, your completed registration forms, a copy of your immunisation history and any relevant medical documentation. If you are not able to register during matriculation, then please get in touch with The Student Health Hub who will be able to assist you. Please do not wait until you are unwell to register with the medical practice. This will cause a delay in getting an appointment.

Short term study students (1 semester <6 months) are different.

When feeling unwell, we encourage students to call the Student Health Hub to ensure the correct service is being accessed as it may not be a doctor you need to see, especially students who are unfamiliar with the UK system. You may be asked one or two questions about your symptoms and advised which service is the most appropriate. The Student Health Hub works closely with both medical practices and Sexual Health Fife and is here to assist you with any queries you may have with regards to your healthcare. This service is confidential and non-judgmental. You can contact the Student Health Hub either in person, email ( or by calling 01334 465777.

Pharmacists in the UK are qualified healthcare professionals. They can offer clinical advice and over the counter medicines for a range of illnesses like:

  • skin complaints
  • coughs, colds and sore throats
  • tummy upsets
  • treatment of UTI's
  • red eye
  • aches and pains

so you may be directed to try there first before contacting the medical practice. The Pharmacist will advise you if they think you need to see a doctor or nurse at the medical practice. A Pharmacist can be found at each of the local chemists:

  • Boots on Market Street
  • Lloyds Pharmacy at the St Andrews Community Hospital
  • Morrisons Pharmacy which is at Morrisons Supermarket.

Making an Appointment

Both NHS medical practices run a comprehensive primary care service, assisted by teams of doctors (GP's), nurses and healthcare advisors. They both have nurses who can treat various ailments, provide contraception and prescribe medication so an appointment with a doctor (GP) isn't always necessary.

If you feel that you need an appointment for an acute illness that hasn't improved with self treatment, both medical practices offer a call back service. This is where a clinician will call you back and discuss your symptoms over the phone. If an appointment is necessary, then one will be arranged. Please note that this service only applies to those that have a UK telephone number. We encourage students to call as early in the day as possible. There are also routine appointments available with doctors or nursers and there is usually a two week wait. If you are seeking an urgent appointment please telephone the medical practice but ideally between 08:00am and 11:00am. The clerical officer will take your details, including a current contact number and the triage clinician will get back to you as soon as possible to discuss your queries, offer advice or set up an appropriate appointment.

There is always a demand for appointments at the medical practice so:

  • if you have one don't be late as you may not be seen and will have to reschedule.
  • If you no longer require the appointment then make sure you cancel it so it can be offered to another patient.

Both medical practices are open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If you require health advice when the medical practice is closed then contact NHS 24 on 111.

Registering with the NHS Medical Practice

For administrative purposes the medical practices split the student body into two parts according to the alphabetical listing of the student's surname or family name.  If you don't want to go with the practice you are assigned to there is no compulsion to do so.   You will always be able to change practices without prejudice if you’re not happy at a later date.  If you live outside St Andrews please check the appropriate medical practice website for details of their respective catchment areas.

The alphabetic split for new entrant students registering for the first time is as follows:

Family name begins withMedical PracticeTelephone
A - Nt Pipeland Medical Practice 01334 476840
Nu - Z Blackfriars Medical Practice 01334 477477

When you register please bring with you your completed registraton forms, your student ID, proof of your term time address and, if relevant, any medical documentation detailing:

  • Medical conditions from birth or experienced over the past year which could have relevance to your current health
  • Any current medication
  • Any current treatment
  • Any adverse reactions to past medication
  • Any allergies
  • A copy of your full immunisation history - you will need this to assist with the completion of the registration forms and you will need to present it at the time of registering so it can be kept on your medical record.

Once fully registered with the medical practice you will be able to access the health service.

Private GP Service

If you wish to access private health services there are a choice of two, one in St Andrews and one in Dundee, which is approximately 12 miles away.

Vaila Health is based in St Andrews.

Tayside Complete Health is based in Dundee.

  • Telephone: 01382 549088


The Student Health Hub

The Student Health Hub
St Andrews Community Hospital and Health Centre
Largo Road

St Andrews
KY16 8AR
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 (46)5777

  • Meningitis Now Logo
  • Related

    Health issue videos