Skip navigation to content

Non Points Based System Categories

There are a number of immigration categories that are outside the Points Based System which grant non-EEA migrants the right to live and work in the UK.  The most common within the University are:

Settlement/Indefinite leave to remain

After non-EEA migrants have lived legally in the UK for a five continuous years in an eligible immigration category then they will be eligible to apply for 'indefinite leave to remain or settlement’.  Obtaining Settlement grants the migrant the right to live and work in the UK without immigration restriction and they do not require further permission from the UKVI to work at the University.  The right to apply for settlement will depend on the migrants’ current immigration category and as part of the application process the migrant will need to pass the Life in the UK Test.  Further details can be obtained by contacting Human Resources or at

UK Ancestry Visas

People from Commonwealth countries may be eligible for a UK Ancestry visa provided they are aged 17 or over, have a grandparent who was born in the UK and are able to work in the UK.  This would allow the holder to live and work without restriction for an initial period of five years.  More information is available at

Right of Abode

People from Commonwealth countries with a UK parent may be for Right of Abode which grants them entitlement to live and work in the UK without restriction.  There is no time limit visa holders can spend in the UK.  More information is available at

Further information on UK visa can be found at


Human Resources

Cameron Little
The Old Burgh School
Abbey Walk

St Andrews
KY16 9LB
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1334 462497
Fax:+44 (0) 1334 462570