Skip navigation to content

Smoke free policy


The University of St Andrews has operated a No Smoking Policy since 1995. The University recognises its duty to ensure that the working environment for staff, students and visitors is safe and without risk to health. It must, therefore, ensure that non-smokers are protected from the dangers of smoke in work and rest areas.

This policy has been updated in line with new legislation (Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Act 2005) that came into force on 26 March 2006 and introduced a ban on smoking in enclosed public places.

It is the policy of the University of St Andrews that all work places are smoke free, and all employees have a right to work in a smoke free environment.

The Policy will be applied fairly and uniformly throughout the University and is applicable to all members of staff. It also applies to students, visitors, clients, contractors and all others who use University facilities.

Can I Smoke Anywhere in the University?

Smoking is prohibited in all buildings and vehicles owned or managed by the University.  This includes any device or substance that may be used for the purpose of smoking including but not limited to, e-cigarettes, herbal cigarettes and pipes.

The grounds of the University may be used as smoking areas but smoking breaks outside of official rest periods will not be permitted. Smokers must ensure that cigarettes/cigars etc are disposed of cleanly and safely.

Who will monitor the application of the policy?

Heads of Schools/Units are responsible for ensuring compliance of this policy within their Schools/Unit. All members of staff have a responsibility to comply with this policy. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action being taken in accordance with the University’s Disciplinary Procedures since failure to comply with the legislation may result in the University receiving a fixed penalty fine.

What should I do if someone ignores the smoking ban ?

You should draw the person’s attention to the ‘no smoking’ signs and remind them that they are committing an offence. If your warning is ignored you should report the incident to your Head of School/Unit or his/her representative.

What if I want to give up smoking?

If you wish to give up smoking, support and advice can be obtained from the Occupational Health Adviser who will be able to provide professional assistance, on-going support and guidance on ext: 2752 or email:

The following organisations can also be approached for further information:

Advice on any aspect of this policy and support with any difficulties experienced with local implementation can be sought from Human Resources on ext. 3096 or e-mail