Staff collection noticeEvery year, we send some of the information we hold about you to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). This forms your HESA Staff Record which does not contain your name or contact details. Your HESA record will not be used in any way that affects you personally.
The HESA Staff Record is used for three broad purposes:
1. Statutory functions
The HESA record is used by the organisations listed below, or agents acting on their behalf, to carry out their public functions connected with education in the UK.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Scottish Government
- Department for Employment and Learning, Northern Ireland
- Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Higher Education Funding Council for Wales
- Scottish Further and Higher Education Funding Council
- Training and Development Agency for Schools
- Research Councils
- Department for Children, Schools and Families
The HESA record may also be used by the Office for National Statistics and the National Audit Office to fulfil their statutory functions of measuring population levels and monitoring public expenditure.
2. HESA publications
HESA use the HESA record to produce anonymised data in annual statistical publications. These include some National Statistics publications and online management information services.
3. Research, equal opportunity, journalism, other legitimate interest/public function
HESA will also supply anonymised data to third parties for the following purposes:
- Equal opportunities monitoring - Your HESA record may contain details of your ethnic group and any disabilities you have. This data is only used where it is needed to promote or maintain equality of opportunity or treatment between persons of different racial or ethnic origins, religious beliefs or different states of physical or mental conditions
- Research. This may be academic research, commercial research or other statistical research into higher education where this is of benefit to public interest.
- Journalism, where the relevant publication would be in the public interest e.g. league tables
Anonymised data for the above purposes is supplied by HESA to the following types of user:
- Local, regional and national government bodies who have an interest in higher education
- Higher education sector bodies
- Higher education institutions
- Academic researchers and students
- Commercial organisations (e.g. recruitment firms, housing providers, graduate employers)
- Non-governmental organisations and charities
HESA will take precautions to ensure that individuals are not identified from the anonymised data which they process.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you have rights of access to the data HESA holds about you. You may have to pay a small fee for this. Because the information HESA holds about you does not include your name and is a copy of the information we hold, you should contact us if you want to see the information. For further information about the HESA Staff Record please see www.hesa.ac.uk/dataprot or email firstname.lastname@example.org