Skip navigation to content

Online expenses claim form

The on-line expenses form has been designed to ensure that you supply all the information needed by payroll to process your expense claim quickly and accurately. 
The process of making a claim remains unchanged, in so far as, you must print and sign the form, attach receipts for your claims and pass it to your head of school/unit or cost centre for approval.


Brief instructions:

  1. Enter your university username (the letters and numbers before the "@" symbol of your main University email address) or the username of the person to whom the expenses are to be paid to, in the appropriate box at the top of the form and click 'retrieve'. This will populate the name, staff number etc that match the username.
  2. Select the tab on the form that matches the claim you wish to make. The default is Travel and Subsistence.
  3. Fill in the information requested in each field. Brief help notes will appear if you hover your mouse over the fields.
  4. You must supply a valid cost centre, analysis code and detail code with your claim. Double clicking in the cost centre/analysis and detail code boxes will produce a drop down list or if you know this information can be typed in directly. More detailed information on finance codes and their use.
  5. The pay element box is used to describe the expenses reimburse category on your payslip.  You should select the most appropriate one for you.
  6. To view the form click the 'Preview Form' button, this will produced a PDF document with your expenses grouped by expense type and summarised by cost centre and analysis code. This should be printed off and signed by you and passed to the person who normally signs your forms with the relevant receipts attached. More detailed information on the PDF form.
  7. To save your entries click the 'SAVE' button and the next time you log in to the form you can complete your claim.
  8. To clear the editable form you should click the 'Clear' button.  This will remove all information from the editable form.

Helpful tips:

  • Fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory.
  • Use the Tab key to move between boxes.
  • Double clicking in boxes produces drop down lists or a text editor.
  • Use the copy line above button to reduce data entry.

Frequently asked questions:

Which date should I put in the date box?

  • If you are claiming for a return journey which is covered by one receipt/ticket enter the date of the outward journey in the date field and note return journey to X in the description field. 
  • For subsistence, enter the date enter the date the expenditure was incurred.
  • For entertaining and other expenses enter the date the expenditure was incurred.

How much should I write in the description field?

  • Descriptions need only be brief, i.e. flight to London for AHRB conference, or 'sandwich lunch'. If you feel you need to give more detail, you can double click in the description box and a text editor will appear, the limit is 250 characters.  

How do I use the currency box?

  • Chose the currency you made the payment in i.e. British Pounds, Yen, US Dollars from the drop down menu.
    • Tip
      A quick way to do this is to type the first letter of the currency as it appears in the list so for sterling type 'b' for British Pounds 'e' for Euro  etc. Enter the amount of the currency in the currency value box and press the tab key, the form will automatically do the conversion to sterling.  The exchange rate used is that provided by and is imported from their site on a daily basis.   
  • If you do not wish to use the automatic currency conversion noted above you must have evidence of the exchange rate you were given, for example a currency exchange slip. You should enter the amount you are claiming in sterling and note the exchange rate used in the Description field, on the Travel and Subsistence and Other Expenses tabs or in the Purpose field of the Entertainment tab. For example 'train from Lyon to Paris 1 pound = 1.43 Euro'. You must also provide a receipt for the exchange rate with your claim as well as receipts for the purchases themselves.

What about payments made on my personal credit card?

  • Option 1
    • Wait until your credit card statement arrives and claim the amount in sterling that appears on your statement.
    • You should send a copy of your credit card statement (with personal purchases blacked out) as well as receipts for the purchases with your expenses claim form.
  • Option 2
    • If you cannot wait for your credit card statement you should proceed as above, attaching the receipts for your purchases to your claim form.  Note this may mean that you will receive a different exchange rate to the one on your credit card either in your favour or not.  You should be aware that the University will not reclaim money from you if the rate was in your favour and will not reimburse you if the rate is against you.  If you are unhappy with making large payments on your personal credit card you should discuss getting a corporate credit card with your Head of School or Unit.

How do I select finance codes?

  • The form provides a scrollable list of cost centres  which is visible if you double click in the cost centre box. You can also enter the code directly if you know it. If you do not know what your cost centre is you should speak to your school or unit administrator. Cost centres do not tend to change hence once you know the relevant cost centre(s),you will not need to remember others.
  • Analysis codes are also called grant numbers by RGFO and once you have selected your cost centre only the analysis codes which are valid with that cost centre will appear if you double click in the box. If you know your analysis code you can enter it directly into the box, if you get it wrong the form will alert you.
  • Detail codes are used to assign expenditure to the correct category for accounting purposes, you should select the one which matches the expenditure you have made.

How do I delete a line?

Ensure your cursor is one of the boxes in the line you wish to delete and click the delete line button on the bottom left of the form. Note if you delete the information in the boxes one by one the form will give an error message you must use the delete line button.

How do I produce the .pdf form for signing?

  • To view the form click the 'Preview Form' button, this will produced a PDF document with your expenses grouped by expense type and summarised by cost centre and analysis code.  This document is not editable, if you want to change it you must return to the editable form ( the window will rain open) make the changes you require and click the 'Preview Form' button again. When you are happy with PDF form you should print it out and sign it and pass it to your head of School/Unit for approval ensuring you attach the relevant receipts.  Note you can also save a copy of the PDF form for your records if you wish, by using the 'save' command in the file menu.

Additional information:

Information on the operating systems and browsers that will/will not run the form is detailed below.

Operating system Netscape 5 and above Safari Opera Internet Explorer Mozilla Firefox
Windows 2000 and above yes no   yes yes
Windows XP yes no   yes yes
Macintosh OS 10.2 and above yes yes (recommended)   no yes
Linux no no no no yes

The first time you access the form it will install a small piece of software called Jinitiator on to your machine, this may take a few minutes but only needs to happen once. To install a piece of software on your machine you need to be an administrator on it, if you are in doubt or need help with this contact the helpdesk.

To ensure that you can generate the PDF claim form for you to print and sign you should ensure that you turn off popup blockers. Pop up blockers is a piece of software which stops your browser from opening a new window, as a rule of thumb unless you have actively chosen to block popups you will not be running the software. For advice on how to disable popup blockers contact the helpdesk. You will also need a copy of Acrobat Reader on your machine.