Skip navigation to content

Motor insurance

Before you drive

A Driver's declaration form (Word, 240 KB) must be completed and returned to EHSS together with the following:

  • Photocard Licence (copy)
  • Licence Summary (Follow instructions on the second page of the declaration form)

Once approval has been issued, you may then drive University owned or hired vehicles.

Insurance details

  • Insurance company: Zurich Municipal 
  • Policy number: NHE-06CA00-0013-52
  • Comprehensive

Vehicles insured

Where you are insured

  • Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
  • Any other member country of the European Union.
  • Any other country requested by the Policyholder and agreed by the Insurer.

Accidental damage excesses

  • Policy excess   £500

If you are involved in a vehicle road accident

  • Stay calm
  • Look for witnesses
  • Exchange details with other driver(s) - insurance, vehicle reg / make / model
  • Take photographs of the accident scene
  • Do not admit liability or offer payment
  • Report the accident to the University

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if:

  • Someone was injured
  • Damage resulted to another vehicle or property
  • An animal was killed or injured

If requested by the police, you have seven days to produce a Certificate of Motor Insurance.

Certificate of Motor Insurance

A certificate of insurance may be obtained from School / Department Administrators or by contacting

If you plan to use your own vehicle on University business

Check that you have appropriate 'Business Use' cover on your personal insurance policy, as the University cannot cover this driving activity and it is a criminal offence to drive without insurance.

'Business use' generally means travel which occurs as part of your employment, and would include anything beyond normal 'Commuting' (which is defined usually as travel between home and normal place of employment). By way of example, trips to the airport for onward travel on university business would therefore be 'Business Use', as would trips between University buildings, or trips from home to other University buildings which aren't the one in which you are normally employed. We strongly recommend you discuss this with your own insurer as definitions and interpretations will vary from policy to policy.

Please ensure the vehicle is road-taxed, well-maintained in line with manufacturer's recommendations and, where appropriate, has a current MOT certificate.




Environmental Health and Safety Services
Bute Building
St Andrews
KY16 9TS
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: 01334 462465