Worldwide volleyball has witnessed unprecedented growth over the last decade and it is now one of the five most popular international sports.
The University Volleyball Club has grown tremendously in size and talent. It is now made up of 2 competitive women’s teams, 2 men’s team and a development team and with the creation of a men's 2nd team recently it shows how much we are continuing to grow. The teams have demonstrated athletic prowess and dedication to the sport which has translated to brilliant successes in recent years.
The Men's team currently compete in BUCS Scottish 1A league achieving 3rd place in 2018. The Women's 1sts had a repeat of season 2016/2017, being undefeated and becoming champions of Scottish Division I. They also did fantastically well to get to the National Cup Final in 2017, which was the first time a University side has made it to that stage of this competition for around 40 years.
All of the competitive teams receive excellent coaching from experienced technical coaches as well as receiving strength and conditioning support for performance improvement. The club is supported by a part-time Director of Volleyball and Head Coaches who deliver intensive training sessions to enable all of the teams to compete at the highest level. The Men’s and Women’s teams participate in the British University and College Sports (BUCS) league and also enter the Scottish Volleyball Association National Cup competition. All 3 BUCS teams are always strong contenders for the top 4 positions in their respective leagues and both the 1st teams aim to make it to the BUCS finals each year. The Scottish Volleyball Association Cup competition enables the University squads to take on some of the best teams in Scotland with the Men’s and Women’s squads consistently making it to the quarter final stage.
In Beach Volleyball, the Scottish Universities Championships is held every year and St Andrews held on to their title in 2018 with Sophie and Bella repeating their title win from 2017, this time over fellow Saints Sydney and Alexandra. We also send a squad down to represent St Andrews down at the BUCS Beach Volleyball Championships, which have been in Bournemouth on the south coast of England.
- 2017/18 - Division 1 Champions (Women's 1sts)
- 2017/18 - SSS Beach Competition - Women's Gold Medallist (Conyngham-Greene & Menchetti) and Silver Medallists (Maxwell & Smith)
- 2017/18 - BUCS Beach Competition - Men's Shield Gold Medallists (Samuel & Debicki)
- 2016/17 - Scottish Cup - Women's finalists (Women’s 1st)
- 2016/17 - Scottish Plate - Men's semi-finalists (Men’s 1st)
- 2016/17 - Division I Undefeated Champions (Women's 1st)
- 2016/17 - Division II Champions (Men's 1st) & promoted to Div I
- 2016/17 - Scottish Conference Cup - Women's 3rd Place (Women’s 2nd)
- 2016/17 - SSS Beach Competition - Women's Gold Medallist (Conyngham-Greene & Menchetti)
- 2016/17 - BUCS Beach Competition - Men's Shield Silver Medallists (Samuel & Debicki)
- 2015/16 – Scottish Plate – Women’s semi-finalists (Women’s 1st), Men’s semi-finalists (Men’s 1st)
- 2015/16 – Scottish Cup Conference – Women’s Silver (Women’s 2nd)
- 2015/16 – SSS Beach Competition – Women’s semi-finalists (Gasperini & Goessler; Maxwell & Smith), Men’s semi-finalists (Matejczyk & Mendoza; Maugeri & Stylianou)
- 2014/15 – SSS Scottish Cup Champions (Women's)
- 2014/15 – SSS Beach Competition - Women’s Gold Medallist (Berwian & Fox), Men’s Bronze Medallist (Chung & Maugeri)
- 2013/14 – SSS Beach Competition – Women’s Silver Medallist (Lavreckyte & Tussis), Men’s Bronze Medallist (Maugeri & Sala)
- 2013/14 – SSS Volunteer of the Year – Charlotte Daman Willems
- 2012/13 – St Andrews Team of the Year (Women’s 1st)
- 2012/13 – BUCS Championships Bronze (Women's 1st)
- 2012/13 – Division I Undefeated Champions (Women's 1st)
- 2012/13 – Men's 1st qualify for BUCS Trophy Quarterfinals, for the first time
- 2012/13 – Shelly Paterson – University Sports Coach of the Year
- 2011/12 – Division II Champions (Men's 1st) & promoted to Div I
- 2011/12 – SSS Scottish Cup Champions (Women's 1st)
For our current training times please contact the club using the information below.