The main University gym at the Sports Centre is open, but please note that the facility is very different to normal, restrictions are in place to allow us to adhere to Scottish Government advice and sessions need to be booked in advance as outlined in the guidance below.
Tier 3 from Friday 13 November
Following the Scottish Government's announcement that Fife will be moving from level two to level three of Scotland's five-tier system from Friday 13 November, all indoor adult (18+years) contact or non-contact group activity is now prohibited, and only individual exercise is permitted indoors.
Guidance for visitors
The guidelines outlined below have been developed to allow the University gym to be used in a way that is in line with Scottish Government advice and that helps to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Please watch the video below and read all the guidelines before making a booking.
Please be aware that guidance can change and restrictions may be reintroduced depending on the COVID protection level (tier).
Please ensure you have checked the latest version of:
Who can book?
- The gym is only available to Saints Sport members
- Members can book up to two days in advance
How to book your gym session?
- The capacity of the gym has been reduced to 50 to adhere to physical distancing guidelines
- All gym sessions must be booked in advance
- Sessions will be for a maximum of 1 hour
- There will be a 30 minute gap between sessions to allow for cleaning and natural ventilation of the gym
- Due to the reduced capacity of the gym, bookings are restriced to one gym session per person per day
- Please don't turn up to the facility unless you have booked a place
- Full term-time opening hours are in operation
Privacy notice: COVID-19 track and trace
The University of St Andrews (“the University”) is collecting and recording the contact details of individuals who make use of the Saint Sports Facilities, to support NHS Scotland’s COVID-19 track and trace scheme.
Your contact details will be used to enable NHS Scotland to contact you should you have been in the premises around the same time as someone who has tested positive for coronavirus. Contacting people who might have been exposed to the virus is an important step in containing any spread.
For more information please see the full privacy notice accessed by the link below:
Travelling to the Sports Centre
- No changing facilities will be available, so please come dressed ready to workout
- Avoid using public transport
- Where possible arrive on foot or by bike, but if you do drive the Sports Centre car park will be open
- Arrive as close as possible to your booking start time, but no more than 5 minutes prior to the start
- On arrival please queue on the pavement next to the gym windows
- Maintain a 2m distance from other users at all times (markings will be in place to help guide you)
- A member of Saints Sport staff will come out and take a register before each session
- Entrance to the gym will be via the fire exit door - no swipe card will be required to access the gym
In the facility
- Hand sanitiser will be available at the entrance and throughout the gym, but it is recommended to bring hand sanitiser with you
- No changing, showers or locker facilities will be available
- We appreciate that some personal training aids may be required (e.g. weightlifting belts, shoes, straps), but please keep these to a minimum
- No bags, towels or chalk will be permitted in the building
- You will need to keep belongings with you at all times
- Staff reserve the right to refuse the use of personal equipment should it be regarded as unsafe or if its use will be in contravention to health guidelines
- Please bring your own water/water bottle – no water will be available onsite
- Toilet facilities will be available
- Please clean and wipe down any equipment or machines you use - cleaning stations will be in place throughout the gym
Cancelling your booking
- As spaces are limited, please cancel your booking if you are unable to attend:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +44 (0)1334 46 2190
- Given the length of time sports activity has been suspended, it is advised that anyone returning to play eases themselves back in gently.
- All facility users MUST read and answer the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PARQ) in the Sports Centre Terms and Conditions prior to using any of the facilities at University Park. If you are in any doubt, please obtain medical advice before using any of our facilities.
- Saints Sport staff will provide first aid effectively whilst mitigating the risk from COVID-19
- PPE will be worn by all staff providing first aid and if possible and appropriate, casualties may also be encouraged to wear a face mask (supplied by Saints Sport)
- a portable defibrillator is accessible in appropriate circumstances, located on the corner of the Sport Centre’s external wall adjacent to the gym
- Please note:
- no changing or shower facilities will be available
- whilst hand sanitiser stations will be available at the front door of the Sports Centre, tennis courts and sand-dressed pitch, we recommend you do bring your own hand sanitiser or wipes if you can
- Players must practice public health advice for hygiene:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before leaving home to go to the court (or use an alcohol gel if washing hands is not possible)
- If you need to sneeze or cough, do so into a tissue or upper sleeve
- Avoid touching your face
- Self-isolation: Individuals should stay at home for 10 days from when they experience symptoms, or until they feel better if they are still unwell after 10 days
- Household isolation: Household should stay at home for 14 days if someone else in the house is showing symptoms. Individuals should continue to stay at home for 10 days from when they show symptoms, or until they feel better if they are still unwell after 10 days
IMPORTANT: Do not leave your home to play sport if Scottish Government advice means you should stay at home because you or someone you live with has or has had symptoms of COVID-19.
- Visitors must adhere to the Scottish Government’s physical distancing guidelines at all times:
- face coverings must be used indoors in all communal areas