Sports Buddy Scheme
The Sports Buddy Scheme, implemented in 2015, aims to give new students the chance to make contact before they arrive with a current student who is passionate about sports at the University of St Andrews.
The scheme will aim to pair incoming students (‘mentees’) with a student or students (‘mentors’) who are active members in the Saints Sport community. Over the summer months the mentor student will be able to answer any questions about Saints Sport at St Andrews, as well as explain a bit about what our unique student experience is like.
Hopefully, mentees and mentors will meet in person once the semester begins in September, and the mentor can help introduce their mentee to their sports club.
St Andrews is proud to boast more than 60 sports clubs, and belonging to a sports club can be an incredibly enriching and rewarding part of our students’ time at University.
To find out more about what's involved in the scheme, as either a mentor or mentee, please watch this short video:
To sign up to take part in the scheme, please complete this short on-line form.
The Sports Buddy Scheme (PDF, 1,559 KB) participant handbook provides more information about the roles of mentors and mentees.
- June + July: Recruit mentors (current students who are active members of sports clubs)
- July + early August: Recruit mentees (new students beginning their studies in St Andrews in September)
- Mid-late August: Matching takes place and mentors and mentees informed. Mentors and mentees keep in touch over email and social media
- September: Mentors and mentees meet in person. The mentor accompanies the mentee to club practise or meetings
- December: Mentors and mentees are asked to provide feedback about the impact of the scheme