Skip navigation to content

History of the School

2012

The School of Psychology & NeuroscienceThe School is renamed the School of Psychology & Neuroscience, following the incorporation of neuroscientists from the School of Biology.


2008

Monkey at Living LinksThe ‘Living Links to Human Evolution’ research centre opened at Edinburgh Zoo, where researchers can study the behaviour and cognitive abilities of capuchins and squirrel monkeys.


2008

RAE 2008The results of the national Research Assessment Exercise are published, and the School is placed 7th out of 76 UK psychology departments in the UK


2002

Sutton Trust logo‎The Sutton Trust, which is dedicated to improving social mobility through education, send children to a summer school at the department. This summer activity has continued annually.


1992

Professor Marie Johnston

Marie Johnston was appointed as the first female professor of psychology and the third female professor in the University, following Margaret Fairlie (Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1940) and Ursula Martin (Professor of Computational Science, 1992).


1981

Morris water mazeRichard Morris designed the ‘water maze’ task, which is now a standard rodent behavioural task, in the School. His article has been cited over 1,500 times.


1979

Psychology building, St Marys quadThe department moved from St Katherine's Lodge, The Scores, to its current location in the Old Library building, dating from the Victorian era.


1969

Professor Malcolm Jeeves‎Malcolm Jeeves was appointed Foundation Professor of Psychology in St Andrews and created the modern department.


1967

Dundee University plaque.Queen’s college became an independent institution, the University of Dundee.


1959

Department of Psychology, Dundee UniversityThe psychology department relocated to Queen’s College of St Andrews, Dundee, under the leadership of Alfred Flook, while Ferguson and others remained in St Andrews.


1947

Otago University crestHenry Ferguson (1906-2004), one of Stout’s students, returned from New Zealand to take up a lectureship in psychology. He held his post for 24 years, retiring in 1971.


1933

Melbourne University crest.South-African born Oscar Oeser (1904-1983) arrived and carried out pioneering research on social deprivation and unemployment in Dundee. After the war, Oeser moved to the University of Melbourne.


1926

Cecil A Mace‎Cecil A. Mace (1894-1971) was appointed to the University and set up a laboratory for psychological experiments, originally housed in St Salvator’s Quad and then in the basement of Younger Hall.


1903

George F Stout‎George F. Stout (1860-1944) joins the University from Aberdeen as Professor of Logic and Metaphysics. Stout was one of the leading psychologists in Britain at the time.