Research Postgraduate Student Orientation
The resources and events outlined on this page are intended to help you make a smooth transition from undergraduate/masters study or the workplace to being a research postgraduate student.
The Postgraduate Orientation 2020-21 Moodle course contains a wide range of information to support you as a student, organised in five sections:
- (Re)Joining has information for when you first arrive, such as online matriculation, fees and funding, ID cards, returning from leave of absence, etc.
- Living has information to help you navigate life beyond your studies, eg setting up a bank account, student accommodation and househunting guide, student life, and much more.
- (Re)Connecting has information on the wide range of extracurricular activites available, such as sport, music and student societies, including the Postgraduate Society.
- Countdown to St Andrews is a 14-day programme of online events and skills sessions.
In addition to reviewing these online resources, you should sign up for one of the four live welcome events. The Provost and PGR Pro Dean, and a panel of colleagues who support research students, will all be available to answer questions, and you will have the opportunity to meet and chat with other new research students.
How do I register for a Welcome event?
You need to activate your University email address prior to booking a place as you need this for the online booking system. If you haven't already done this, go to New students on a research postgraduate course for information on activating your account.
The links below will take you to the University's online Personal Development Management System (PDMS), so that you can book on the Research Postgraduate Welcome Event of your choice. The links will all open in a new browser window.
Registration process: Tick the "Add course to selection" box, then click the "Book" button. You will go to a login page where you need to enter your St Andrews University email username and password, then click the "Login" button. The system will show you the course you have asked to book on: click the "Submit" button. You will be asked to fill in information on special dietary needs, etc - that will only happen the very first time you log in. You will get an email acknowledging your request for a place, and a separate email to confirm when you have been allocated a place. If you don't receive any confirmation emails, please check your Spam/Junk/Clutter folders, and if you still can't find it let us know by emailing: email@example.com
Welcome Events (select one) - all British standard time:
- Monday 28 September, 10.00-11.00am
- Monday 28 September, 15.00-16.00pm (Watch a recording of the September event - the video will open in a new browser window)
- Wednesday 28 October, 10.00-11.00am (Watch a recording of the October event - the video will open in a new browser window)
- Tuesday 23 February, 10.00-11.00am (Watch a recording of the February event - the video will open in a new browser window)
Any problems or queries
If you encounter any problems or have any queries, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.