Research Postgraduate Student Development Fund (for external/online courses)
Research postgraduates (PhD, MPhil, DLang, EngD, MSc (Res) and MSt (Res))
Funding maximum per academic year £100
Description of Funding
The Research Student Development fund enables postgraduate students to attend workshops or courses that provide generic, transferable skills development that will benefit them in a wide range of future careers, eg communication skills, outreach, digital literacy, statistics, working with the media, etc.
The funding does not cover:
- networking events
- (inter)disciplinary conferences/symposia, even to present one's research (unless there are also transferable skills development workshops on offer)
- training in highly subject-specific skills (eg electron microscopy, art restoration) OR
- training that is fundamental to a student's PhD.
In the Explain how this will develop your transferable skills section applicants should focus on how the course/event will benefit them after their PhD in possible future careers, to emphasise the transferable skills aspect.
By submitting a completed funding application to CEED, you are entering into an agreement confirming that you have read, understood and agree to abide by the conditions and procedures outlined on this page. This includes the completion and submission of a Final Report to CEED. Funding for successful applications will be awarded ‘in principle’ and will not be released until the report has been received.
CEED funding application guidelines
- CEED must receive applications at least five working days prior to the start of the event for which funding is requested. Note that we are unable to allocate funds retrospectively.
- Applications for support are considered on a case by case basis, as they are received.
- Applications will usually be processed within 48 hours of receipt; you will receive an email with the outcome and, if approved, instructions on how to claim your award.
- There is no guarantee that you will receive the full amount applied for.
- In the first instance all costs should be paid by either yourself or the School.
- No funding is released until after the event and the receipt of the final report.
- Limits to allocations: No more than three applications per School for the same event.
- The fund will close to new applications at the start of the second week of June, or when all of the funds have been allocated, whichever comes first.
- No individual may claim more than £100 in a given academic year.
- The fund can be used to cover the cost of event fees, travel and/or accommodation. We do not cover subsistence costs.
- Costs for travel & accommodation may be estimated if necessary; however CEED will pay actual costs no greater than a total of £100.
- The applicant must make all purchases up front, and keep all receipts (eg travel, registration fees).
- Original receipts are required in order to claim the funds awarded.
- Claims with all supporting documentation must be submitted no later than 1st July of the academic year in which the claim was made. If your event takes place in July, contact us for guidance on submitting your claim.
How to apply
- Log into the University’s MySaint portal
- Select the “My applications” tab in the blue menu bar near the top of the page, on the new page find the box headed "e:Vision applications" then click the header Scholarships and funding. A list of new links will appear: click "View the scholarships and funding catalogue".
- On the next screen, from the "Award type" dropdown menu select "Travel" and from the "Study level" dropdown menu select "Research postgraduate".
- Click the "Refresh list" button.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select: Research Postgraduate Student Development Fund (PhD MPhil)
- Complete the questions in the online form.
- You must demonstrate you have the approval of your supervisor by uploading an approval email from your authoriser. An email approval template can be found at: email approval template for CEED funding (Word, 14 KB).
- Submit the online form.
All recipients are required to submit a CEED Funding report template (Word, 37 KB) to CEED and your authoriser in conjunction with a completed claim form and all relevant receipts before funding will be awarded.
Travel purchase options
- DP&L (University's preferred agent)
- Independent agent OR self-book online
If you are unsure about the funding, having trouble understanding or have some queries, please feel free to contact the CEED Office: (01334) 467458 / email@example.com