Santander - St Leonard's College Research Mobility Scholarships
St Leonard's Doctoral and Postgraduate College is pleased to offer a small number of Research Mobility Scholarships sponsored by Banco Santander SA.
The scholarships are open to University of St Andrews postgraduates from any discipline and are intended to help cover the costs of a research or study visit directly relating to their degree programme - such as costs associated with visiting an archive, undertaking field work, or presenting a paper at a conference.
The Santander - St Leonard's College Research Mobility Scholarships are worth up to £1,000 - however, to ensure as many applicants as possible benefit from the scheme, most awards will be smaller than this and normally limited to £500. The scholarships must be used towards a research/study visit which will be completed by 31 July 2019. Scholarships may only be used for a research/study visit to one of the following countries:
- Puerto Rico
- United States of America
- United Arab Emirates
Please note that the scholarships cannot be used for a research/study visit to the applicant's home country - for example, a French national cannot apply for funding for a research/study visit to France.
- be submitted by 16:00 (UK time) 17 January 2019
- relate to a research/study visit taking place between 1 November 2018 and 31 July 2019
- provide a full breakdown of the anticipated costs of the research/study visit
- indicate any other funding which the applicant has received or has applied for in relation to the research/study visit
- have the support of the applicant's programme coordinator/supervisor
Scholarships may be used to help cover the costs of travel and/or accommodation associated with the research/study visit as well as other directly related costs - for example, registration fees for a conference at which the applicant has been invited to present a paper. Scholarships may not be used to help cover the costs associated with attendance at a training course including language courses.
Applicants must be:
- a registered postgraduate student of the University of St Andrews at the date of application and for the duration of the research/study visit
- undertaking a research/study visit relating to their degree programme
- undertaking a research/study visit in one of the countries listed above - provided that this is not the applicant's home country
Applications will be assessed by a selection panel chaired by the Provost. The selection panel will look for ambitious and academically worthwhile research/study visit plans which will make a material contribution to the applicant's research/studies. Given the limited funds available, applicants are asked to seek support from other funding sources so as to minimise the amount of funding sought from this scheme - this includes CAPOD funding schemes and the School of Modern Languages Research and Travel Fund. Preference may be given to applicants who have not previously received funding through this scheme.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by the end of February 2019. The selection panel's decision is final and applicants will not be given feedback on their application.
Scholarships will awarded on the condition that:
- the information provided in the application is accurate - the University reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship or require repayment of the scholarship if the information provided was not accurate
- scholarship holders agree to inform the University immediately should their research/study visit plans change - for example, if the visit is cancelled or the visit dates/location changes; the University reserves the right to withdraw the scholarship or require repayment of the scholarship if the visit is cancelled or the visit dates/location change
- scholarship holders agree to complete in advance of the departure date a full risk assessment and submit this to their School's Safety Officer - learn more about the risk assessment procedure
- scholarship holders agree to provide a written report at the end of the research/study visit and agree to the use of the report for publicity purposes
- scholarship holders, if required by the University, agree to provide evidence of expenditure showing how the scholarship was used
- scholarship holders agree that their details (name, date of birth, email address, degree programme, year of study, and nature of the research/study visit for which funding was awarded) will be shared with Banco Santander SA - this information will be used to assess the impact of the funding and may be shared within Banco Santander SA for this purpose, Banco Santander SA may contact scholarship holders for further information as to how they have benefited from the scholarship; this information will be handled in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998
Applications must be submitted using the Santander - St Leonard's College Research Mobility Application Form (Word, 504 KB)
Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16:00 (UK time) 17 January 2019.
Postgraduates with any further questions regarding the Santander - St Leonard's College Research Mobility Scholarships are invited to contact Brett Dodgson at St Leonard's College - please email email@example.com