Skip navigation to content

Lecturing on the Theory of Knowledge at St Leonards School, St Andrews

In this article doctoral student Percy Leung reflects on his experience lecturing to pupils at St Leonards School in St Andrews. Percy was invited to deliver a lecture as part of the Theory of Knowledge course which pupils complete as part of their International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.

‌St Leonards School is an independent school in St Andrews which enjoys close connections with the University of St Andrews. Every year the School invites first and second year doctoral students at the University to apply for the role of Associate Researcher. The Associate Researcher delivers lectures to International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme pupils (Years 12 and 13) on the Theory of Knowledge course, introduces them to the world of research, and acts as a general point of contact with the University.

I was fortunate enough to be shortlisted for the role this academic year, and subsequently attended an interview and gave a presentation to the School’s pupils. Although I was unsuccessful in securing this post, the selection panel and the other members of the School were impressed by my presentation and the insight it provided into my work and research, and invited me to give a lecture to their International Baccalaureate pupils.‌

Percy Leung lectures as part of the Theory of Knowledge course

"It was a great pleasure to return to St Leonards School and to meet their intelligent and determined pupils again"

Percy Leung speaks to pupils at St Leonards School as part of the Theory of Knowledge course

It was a great pleasure to return to the St Leonards School and to meet their intelligent and determined pupils once again. The Theor of Knowledge course requires pupils to appreciate a wide array of "Areas of Knowledge" including mathematics, natural sciences, human sciences, history, religious knowledge systems, indigenous knowledge systems, the arts, and ethics. As a doctoral student in Modern History, I of course focused on history and delivered a lecture that covered the fundamental knowledge questions students are required to understand, including ‘what is a fact in history’, ‘what distinguishes a better historical account from a worse one’, and ‘what is the relation between the style of language used and the history written’. Based on my research, I also discussed whether it was possible for history to be objective and free from perspective, as well as how a historian assesses the reliability of sources. The pupils interacted with me throughout the lecture, asking insightful and perceptive questions, which challenged me to think deeply into the philosophy of my research.

"The students interacted with me throughout the lecture, asking insightful and perceptive questions, which challenged me to think deeply into the philosophy of my research"

St Leonards School pupils listening to Percy Leung

As a former International Baccalaureate student who had spent two years studying the Theory of Knowledge course, I shared my experience with the pupils, informing them how I prepared for my Theory of Knowledge essay and presentation and how I studied for the intensive International Baccalaureate academic programme as well as giving them some tips on being successful in exams and assessments. This was a thoroughly pleasant experience – I greatly enjoyed sharing my time with the pupils at St Leonards School and wish them the very best with their academic endeavours!

About Percy Leung

Percy Leung is a doctoral student in the School of History. His supervisor is Professor Frank Müller.

Percy's doctoral research focuses on the social and political contributions to the German and British war efforts made, respectively, by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra during the First World War. His thesis looks at the value of classical music and its public performance in fostering national identity in war-time societies and in bolstering the morale in the home fronts, the ways that these two orchestras transformed classical music from a serious, elitist art-form to an offering located within popular mass culture, and how the changing circumstances of the First World War affected the musical life and administration of both orchestras.

Percy Leung - Personal Profile