Discretionary Fund 2019-20
For details on the Childcare Fund click here.
UK Students who have financial difficulties can apply to the Discretionary Fund. This is a fund given to us by the government to assist both undergraduate and postgraduate students. We give priority to certain groups of students:
- Independent students
- Students with dependents
- Part-time students
- Estranged students
- Final year undergraduates
- Students with extra costs due to health and disability.
- Postgraduate students whose funding has ended.
We also aim to make awards to students who can show to us that their essential expenditure exceeds their income.
- Be a "home student" - not EU
- If you are an Undergraduate - you have taken out your full student loan entitlement
- If you are a Postgraduate - you have taken out the full funding entitlement available to you
- Show evidence of financial hardship.
We cannot pay for tuition fees from this fund or replace assessed parental contribution that is not met.
Access to the online Application will be via the Scholarships and Funding Section on MySaint. Student Services will assess all applications and allocate awards to successful applicants based on the information provided. Students may be required to attend an interview with a Student Services Adviser and will be contacted by email to arrange this. Students can apply more than once during the academic year. Students are required to enter their bank details via MySaint for any possible payment.
Any student who has difficulty with any stage of the application process should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Students will be required to provide and upload supporting evidence relevant to their individual situation.
ALL STUDENTS MUST PROVIDE
- Bank Statement
- A copy of their most recent bank statement showing 1 month’s transactions - this can be an online statement but must show the bank's logo and the student's name. We cannot accept Excel spreadsheets. If you have more than one account statements from all your accounts are required.
- Supporting Personal Statement
- All students must provide a written Personal Statement in support of their application. The statement should provide details of their financial situation and any exceptional circumstances leading to the application for financial assistance. All information given will be treated in strictest confidence.
Funded UK students’ additional evidence required
- Scottish students
- SAAS Letter of Award – you can download this from the SAAS website after you have logged on to your online account. Please note: we cannot accept your Student Loan letter as it does not show any bursary that you may receive.
- RUK students
- SFE/SFNI/SFW letter of award– showing a breakdown of Tuition Fees, Student Maintenance Loan and any Student Grant you receive. We require either the hard copy which has been sent to your home address or you can download this information from your online account.
STUDENTS LIVING IN PRIVATE RENTED PROPERTY MUST PROVIDE
- Copy of Rent agreement
- Recent Utility Bill
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The University Court has delegated to Student Services the power to make awards from the Discretionary Fund. The Student Services Adviser’s decision on any application is final. If you are unhappy with the decision and wish to make a complaint, email The Director of Student Services emial: email@example.com
- Applicants may be requested to attend an interview.
- Applicants may be required to produce evidence of need.
- Although the information given on the application form is confidential to Student Services you should be aware that the University’s auditor may also have access to this information.
- Student Services may close the Discretionary Fund at any time during the academic year.
If you are applying for Childcare Assistance then you must complete the additional application form Application for Childcare 2019-20 (PDF, 196 KB). If you are unable to open this document, please see the information about Adobe Acrobat for Web documents.
The information on the online application form has been completed to the best of my knowledge. I understand that my application to the Discretionary Fund will be made on the basis of the information provided. I understand that I may be contacted to provide further information to support of my application and/or attend an interview.
I confirm that I have applied for the maximum Student Loan available to me and as far as I am aware I am in receipt of this amount.
I understand that should I have intentionally provided inaccurate information that I may be subject to the University’s Non-Academic Misconduct Policy (Students). Action may be taken to recover any award made to me and I may not be permitted to matriculate or graduate until the award is recovered. I note that I will become ineligible to receive an award if I take a Leave of Absence or withdraw from my course. I confirm that I will notify Student Services of any changes in my circumstances via email E: firstname.lastname@example.org