Passport to Research Futures
Key details: Please discuss this programme and obtain approval from your manager before submitting a request. Flexible Continuing Professional Development (CPD) package for contract research staff, early career academics and professional staff involved in research
- Academic staff
- Professional staff
- Research staff
A development programme for research staff, early career academics and professional staff who support research
The Passport to Research Futures (PRF) programme provides a structured but flexible Continuing Professional Development (CPD) package for all research staff and early career academics across all disciplines. In 2019, alongside the launch of the Technician Commitment, the prgramme was opened up professional staff who support research.
The purpose of the programme is to help participants focus on career planning, professional development and employability.
The programme has been recognised by the ILM and includes a range of development activities, including:
- Lunchtime Legends panel sessions
- Networking events
- Kintish online networking courses
- Access to the Teaching, Research & Academic Mentoring Scheme
- A personal Vitae Researcher Development Framework (PDF) Planner account (provided after the Programme Orientation)
Pick-and-mix format to suit your needs:
The programme is a based on a pick-and-mix format combining a small number of core components with a selection of optional activities. Once you join the programme you choose which elements you want to complete. Use your access to the RDF planner to focus on your professional development and guide your activity choices.
The programme is structured around 9 Units, each including one or more activities. There are a number of workshop-based activities within each of the 9 Units, of which 5 are core components.
Complete 5 core subunits plus any 6 optional subunits to gain a University certificate
Complete 5 core subunits and 7 ILM subunits to gain an internationally-recognised development award
Tracking your progress:
Once accepted onto the programme, you will be able to view which activities you have already completed (including in the 3 years prior to programme sign-up), which you have booked and which you still have to complete. Login to your PDMS Training Record where your Programme Courses and your Individual Courses attendance record will appear.
If you have attended similar training elsewhere we can 'Accredit Prior Learning' provided you can provide evidence that proves completion and allows us to map the content against our own standards.
Problems, queries, suggestions & feedback:
Please feel free to contact email@example.com
5 courses - you have to complete all of these.
- Career paths for research staff
- Career planning and self development
- Diversity in the Workplace Essential Elearning Module
- Passport to Research Futures: programme orientation
- Unconscious Bias Essential Elearning Module
34 courses - these are all optional.
- Attracting your own research funding: writing and applying for fellowships
- Communicating your research (ILM)
- CVs and job applications (academic and non-academic) (ILM)
- Funny Research: Bright Club stand-up comedy workshop
- Innovation, collaboration & business insights (ILM)
- Intellectual Property (IP) - your most important asset? (ILM)
- Interview Skills: Academic and Competency based interviews (ILM)
- Lunchtime Legends: Engaging with the Public - Schools and Public Engagement
- Lunchtime Legends: Engaging with the Public - Working with Broadcast Media
- Lunchtime Legends: From Post-Doc to Lecturer (Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Lunchtime Legends: From Post-Doc to Lecturer (Sciences)
- Lunchtime Legends: Getting Published (Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Lunchtime Legends: Getting Published (Sciences)
- Lunchtime Legends: Leading a Research Group (ILM)
- Making a Movie (ILM)
- Managing people in research teams (ILM)
- Managing Research Information: an introduction to impact, open access, Pure, data management (ILM)
- Managing Research Information: impact in depth
- Managing Research Information: publishing research data
- Managing Research Information: Pure, hands-on training
- Practical public engagement
- Professional networking for researchers: strategy & engaging
- Project Management: an Introduction (ILM)
- Psychometric masterclass: thinking styles and team roles (ILM)
- Recruitment and Selection (Academic and Research Staff) (ILM)
- Research commercialisation as impact (ILM)
- Research Funding: An Introduction
- Research Funding: how to prepare a competitive application (AHSS)
- Research Funding: how to prepare a competitive application (Sciences)
- Resilience in the face of change - part 1
- Resilience in the face of change - part 2
- The Why and How of Research Commercialisation (ILM)
- Time Management for Academics and Researchers (ILM)
- Writing Retreat