Data Literacy for Social and Environmental Justice
Designed to develop core skills in data literacy (including spatial data science), science communication, and public engagement, the programme is ideal for professionals currently working on questions of social and environmental justice, those looking to shift career trajectory, or recent graduates seeking additional training before (re)entering the workforce.
- PgCert, PgDip, and MSc options available.
- Start in January 2024.
- Choose from two pathways: social sciences or physical/environmental sciences (or access both).
- Build from scratch or increase your existing data literacy skills, including spatial data science.
- Discover strategies for public engagement, building on your theoretical and practical knowledge to become an adept science communicator.
- Boost your influence by enhancing and diversifying your data visualisation and impact toolboxes.
What you will study
- You will gain a solid conceptual foundation for understanding how quantitative data are used (and abused) in the interest of social and environmental causes.
- You will learn basic data literacy and analysis, including the option to build skills in advanced quantitative methods and spatial data sciences.
- You will strengthen your science communication skills and ability to engage with publics and policy makers to increase your impact potential.
How will you be taught?
- You will be able to learn flexibly through asynchronous teaching and innovative learning resources, such as subject-focused podcasts.
- As well as being taught through traditional methods, including lectures and workshops, you will also be encouraged to interact with your lecturers and other students through live Q&A sessions and asynchronous online forums.
- Students on the MSc course will be encouraged to complete an applied dissertation project in collaboration with an agency working on issues of social or environmental justice/policy.
Leadership skills and project management
Cultivate your leadership skills, building your ability to reflect on feedback, to manage projects, and to persevere in the face of challenges.
Problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
Develop your problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills as you approach real-world issues connected to environmental and social justice.
Improve your data literacy and analytical skills, enabling you to evaluate and communicate about scientific subjects effectively.
The programme will help learners to prepare for careers in 3rd sector/NGOs, policy, and government. Graduates will leave with sought-after skills across the theoretical and practical aspects of analysing, interpreting, and presenting quantitative data, using clear, concise language and accessible visuals.
Join our virtual information session.
Meet our staff, learn more, and ask questions about how our courses can work for you.