Skip navigation to content


Students should ensure that they are familiar with the University policies relating to examinations, in particular, the Assessment Policies and Procedures (PDF, 566 KB) and the policy on Student Absence (PDF, 432 KB).  We also encourage you to consult the information for current students concerning examinations and, in particular, when necessary the information provided concerning student absence.

Examination dates

Dates for future examination diets are found on the University website.

Absence from Examinations

Absence from Examinations due to illness or any other unavoidable reason should be reported by submitting a Self Certificate of Absence form (via MySaint under 'My Details') as soon as you are able to do so, preferably before the examination is due to take place and in any case no later than 3 days after the examination.  You must also contact the School responsible for the module being examined in order to request alternative arrangements, which are at the discretion of the School.   You are only required to notify the University Examinations Officer if there is a problem submitting the self-certificate.

Please contact the School's Examination Officer Professor Thomas Neukirch ( concerning absence from examination, preferably before the examination is due to take place.  (If the Examinations Officer is unavailable, you should contact the Director of Teaching, Dr Antonia Wilmot-Smith).

Contact information for the University Examinations Officer is found on the University website.

Deferred assessment

The following information concerns how the School implements the University policy on deferred assessment.

  • Requests for deferred assessment must be made to the School's Examinations Officer in advance of or as soon as practically possible after the examination date.
  • Self-certificates alone will not be sufficient to justify the deferral of an examination.  You will be asked to supply appropriate documentation to support your application.  (See paragraph 5 in the University's policy on Deferred Assessment.)
  • Alternative examinations for students who are unable to take the examination at the normal time may be scheduled within the same diet if possible.  If this cannot be accommodated, then the deferred examination will take place at the next examination diet (either full examination diet or resit diet).

If you need a deferred assessment, then you will be expected to be available in St Andrews at the time the deferred exam is scheduled.  You should check your email regularly to ensure that you do not miss the assessment.

If your studies are disrupted by illness or other circumstances then you should talk to Student Services and your Adviser of Studies.

Special circumstances: 'S' coding

'S' Coding is the method the University uses to recognise that special circumstances have affected performance in the modules concerned.  S-coding may only be applied to Honours or taught postgraduate modules, except for taught postgraduate project or dissertation modules which are excluded.  S-coding may only be applied with the explicit consent of the student and with the approval of the School.  The final decision to S-code a module grade rests with the School.  You should be aware that a maximum of 25% of the overall Honours credits required or 50% of the taught element of a postgraduate award may be S-coded.

If you feel that your ability to work is  adversely affected by personal circumstances during your Honours years or duing the taught modules of a taught postgraduate programme you should contact the School in the first instance indicating the circumstances of the difficulty experienced.  This may relate to ongoing illness, close family bereavement, or other significant personal difficulties.

You must bring this information to the attention of the School as soon as possible as there are a number of ways to deal with such situations, S-coding being the final option.  It may be possible (and it is viewed as preferable) to arrange deferred assessments or extended submission dates rather than applying S-coding to the entire module.  However, it should be noted that if such arrangements are made (extensions or deferred assessments, etc.) it is unlikely that you will be entitled to have the module S-coded as well.

Further information on 'S' coding can be found in the University documentation (see Section 4 of the Assessment Policies and Procedures (PDF, 566 KB)) and further advice is found on the University website.  To request that a module is S-coded, a formal request should be submitted and, in this School of Mathematics & Statistics, this should be addressed to our Examinations Officer.

Additional conditions apply after retrospective S-coding, i.e. the request to have an S-code applied to a module after the module result has been reported.  Requests for retrospective S-coding should be submitted to the Head of School.


As specified in the University Examination Rules, the use of programmable calculators and those with text, symbolic or graphic capabilities is not permitted at examinations.  Basic scientific calculators are permitted for the majority of examinations in the School.  (Typical permitted models include the Casio FX83GT Plus, Casio FX85GT Plus, Sharp EL-531WB, or similar.)

Some module coordinators may specify that calculators are not permitted (and so not required) for the examination in the relevant module.  You will be informed in advance if that is the case.

Illegible Exam Scripts

It is your responsibility to ensure that your handwritten answers provided in examination scripts are legible and can be read by the markers.  If a script cannot be read by the marker then this could result in a delay in confirming your module grade. You may be charged for a transcription service and could be required to return to the School(s) concerned in order to transcribe the script.  If you have already left St Andrews then you will have to bear the costs of any return travel to the University.  More information is available in the University policy on Illegible Exam Scripts (PDF, 303 KB)