Data Tree online course
Data Tree is a new free online data management training course, funded by NERC, which is due to launch in June 2018.
This self-paced course consists of eight structured modules including video, quizzes and real-life examples of data management. It covers data management practicalities, techniques for scientific data analysis, and ways to engage and share data with business, policymakers, media and the wider public.
Data Tree is especially aimed at PhD students and early career researchers in the environmental sciences, but would be useful for any scientist who wants to learn new data skills and develop the right data habits, including thinking about the end users of their data.
The course is being launched with a competition and a series of half-day workshops around the UK that will each explore a key theme in more detail. Workshops are open to all, and particularly PhD students and early career researchers are encouraged to come along.
- 21 June 2018 – Communicating with the media and public (Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Innovation)
- 29 June 2018 – Publishing papers and data (Institute of Physics, London)
- 2 July 2018 – Data visualisation (University of Birmingham)
- 10 July 2018 – Engaging with public policymakers (University of Bristol)
- 18 July 2018 – Communicating with business (University of Leeds)
For more information, or to register to attend a workshop, please see the Data Tree website: https://datatree.org.uk/mod/page/view.php?id=56