Research and enquiries
University of St Andrews Library Visiting Scholarship Scheme 2018
Application deadline 12 January 2018
Applications should be e-mailed to email@example.com
The University of St Andrews has an outstanding collection of books, archives and photography, accumulated throughout the six hundred years since the University’s foundation. The collection is especially rich in the History of Science, Theology and Church History, Literary Studies and Photography. In addition to a substantial collection of incunabula and early printed books, the library has a significant eighteenth-century collection dating from its period as a Copyright Library (1710-1836). The archives also include an exceptional collection of 15th -16th century materials relating to Fife and to the University and city of St Andrews.
What is a University of St Andrews Library Visiting Scholarship?
Visiting Scholarships are an opportunity for applicants external to the University of St Andrews to research a topic in the Library’s Special Collections. The scholarships are open to all interested researchers, whether or not affiliated to a university, and at whatever level. This Scholarship gives the applicant the opportunity to visit the University of St Andrews and experience first-hand the Library’s unique collections which offer research potential across an exceptionally broad array of disciplines.
Assessment of applications
All applications are assessed by a panel of academics and Library staff.
Successful candidates will be in receipt of
- Financial support up to a maximum of £1,500 to cover travel and accommodation, but not subsistence, during the Scholarship
- Accommodation in a University hall of residence. The cost of this will be paid directly by the University, which will also make all necessary arrangements for residency.
- A warm welcome to Special Collections and invitations to take part in its activities, e.g. seminars and workshops
- Curatorial support during the Scholarship
- Reading Room provision
- Sponsored email account
- Scholarships can be taken at a mutually agreed time between 1 July and 31 August 2018.
- Scholarships will last for a period of between two and eight weeks.
All activity must be based strongly on the Special Collections of the University of St Andrews Library.
Visiting Research Scholar Application Process
Applicants are required to complete and submit the application form: Visiting Scholars 2018 Application Form (Word, 526 KB).
The complete application form should include:
- Personal details
- Details of the intended project to include: title of project, proposed start and end date, vision, methodology and intended for outputs (no more than 2 pages of A4).
- An outline of the sources to be consulted in line with essential criteria above
- An up to date CV
- An up to date list of relevant publications
- One reference in support of the application
What will the University of St Andrews Library expect from the applicant?
- To adhere to the agreed start date
- During their Scholarship to deliver a public talk or workshop on the research undertaken
- To produce a precis of the research undertaken during their Scholarship, which can be used by the Library for publicity purposes
- Travel expenses will be processed in arrears (on production of receipts and completed claim form)
- All international expenditure, before being presented to the Library, must be converted to GB pounds sterling and include evidence of exchange rate on the day of transaction
- Any scholarship holder wishing to make their own accommodation arrangements is free to do so. In this case they will receive a contribution towards cost equivalent to the rent payable in the allocated university accommodation. These costs would be reimbursed at the conclusion of the visit (on production of receipts and completed claim form).