The unveiling of the Bishop Wardlaw statue
Date: 29th June 2013
Location: St Mary's Quadrangle
A bronze statue of our founder and first Chancellor, Henry Wardlaw, Bishop of St Andrews 1403-1440 was unveiled on Saturday, 29th June, by the University's present Chancellor, the Rt Hon Sir Menzies Campbell.
On 27 February 1412 Wardlaw granted a charter of incorporation to the scholars and students based in his Cathedral of St Andrews. This was the Foundation Charter of the first Scottish University, ratified by Pope Benedict XIII. Bishop Henry's charter is incorporated in the papal bull of 1413, which arrived in St Andrews in February 1414 to be greeted by lavish celebrations.
The statue rests on a plinth in St Mary's Quad on South Street on the site of land which Wardlaw gave to the Faculty of Arts in 1430. The statue was commissioned from David Annand and funded by the Strathmartine Trust and its friends.
Our Muniments Archivist, Rachel Hart, who gave a talk covering the foundation of the University, Wardlaw and the buildings of St Mary's College as part of the well-attended unveiling ceremony, is pictured with the Most Rev David Chillingworth, current Episcopal Bishop of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane who also took part, along with Dr Barbara Crawford of the Strathmartine Trust and Professor Ivor Davidson, Principal of St Mary's College and Dean of Divinity.