Berry of Tayfield (msdep133)
The Berrys have lived at Tayfield in North East Fife for 7 generations, after the house was built by John Berry on the estate of Inverdovat in 1788.
The papers of William Berry (1774-1852), writer to the signet, contain many legal papers from his business dealings as a solicitor, as well as some estate matters and work from his service on local committees especially roads and ferries and the development of the harbour at Newport; there are also papers on the affairs of related families of Makgill of Kemback and Law of Drums (msDA817.B4).
A second deposit contains title deeds for properties, papers on Newport Railway Company, and the John Berry Trust (msdep133).
A later William Berry was involved in schemes for the protection of wild birds and early forms of nature conservancy in Scotland, carried on by his son John, while the current William Berry maintains strong links with the University as a member of the University Court.
View the online catalogue for the Berry of Tayfield Collection (partly listed).