Anstruthers of Elie (msdep130)
The estate of Elie, Ardross and Newark was originally gifted to the Dishington family, passed into the hands of the Scott family in the 16th century, and was then bought by the Anstruthers of that Ilk in 1704. However the family suffered from various misfortunes in losing heirs young and running up large debts, and the estate was eventually sold to the Baird family in 1856. In the 20th century it was split up and sold off, most of the records being lost.
The archives that do survive are held either by the Elie and Earlsferry Historical Society, or within the Anstruther of Balcaskie collection, both on deposit in Special Collections. The collection includes estate maps, rental books, correspondence, tacks, title deeds, accounts, inventories, valuations.
View the archive catalogue for the Elie Estate Collection.