Records from the Chemistry Department fall into 2 groups.
The first deals with the teaching and administration of the department including staff meeting notes, laboratory practical manuals, examination papers, lectures and notes.
The other part is known as the Alchemical collection and was collected by Professor John Read (1884-1963), reflecting his interest in history of chemistry and the history of St Andrews. These include medieval alchemical manuscripts and later illustrated manuscripts full of allegorical pictures. There are also alchemical manuscripts in the hand of Isaac Newton, and lectures by chemist Joseph Black.
There is also a large set of lecture slides on alchemy and the history of chemistry, with an index.
View the online catalogue entry for the Chemistry papers.