Papers of the Anstruthers of Balcaskie (msdep121)
The Anstruther family have owned land in the East Neuk of Fife since the 12th century, based first at Dreel Castle in Anstruther and from 1689 at Balcaskie House near Pittenweem. The family had many links with other landed families of the area, especially other branches of the Anstruther family living at Elie, Airdrie, Anstruther and Anstrutherfield, and the Erskines of Cambo. They sent many sons off to war as officers or overseas as servants of the king or later the British Empire, while others gave political service as Lord Lieutenant or MP for Fife. The extensive collection runs from 1223 through to the end of the 20th century and includes early charters, records of estate administration for the Balcaskie estate and for Watten and Scarmclett in Caithness, family letters, journals and diaries, correspondence with officers involved with local projects for railways, roads, coal mining, farming, banking, churches and schools, especially for Elie, St Monans, Carnbee and Pittenweem, as well as local and national politics.
The collection has been listed and will be available via the online catalogue.