There are many ways to get involved with the University Library Special Collections. From research projects, to volunteering your time, and encouraging students to engage with collections through competitions.
University of St Andrews Visiting Scholarship Scheme
This scholarship allows researchers to research a topic using the Library’s special collections. The scheme is open to all interested researchers, external to the University of St Andrews, affiliated to another university or independent.
Up to £1,500 is provided to successful applicants to cover travel and accommodation, but not subsistence, during the scholarship. The scholarship lasts between two and eight weeks between 1 July and 31 August 2020.
Deadline for applications: 18 January 2020.
Included in the scholarship
Successful candidates will receive:
- accommodation in a University hall of residence. The cost of this will be paid directly by the University, who will also make all necessary arrangements for residency
- access to the University’s special collections
- invitations to take part in workshops, seminars and other events organised by the Special Collections team
- curatorial support
- Napier Reading Room provision
- University of St Andrews email account
During the scholarship
Successful applicants must:
- adhere to the agreed start date
- deliver a public talk or workshop on the research undertaken during their Scholarship
- produce a summary of the research undertaken during their scholarship, which can be used by the Library for publicity purposes.
Any scholarship holder wishing to make their own accommodation arrangements is free to do so. In this case they will receive a contribution towards cost equivalent to the rent payable in the allocated University accommodation. These costs would be reimbursed at the conclusion of the visit (on production of receipts and completed claim form).
Travel expenses will be processed in arrears (on production of receipts and completed claim form).
All international expenditure, before being presented to the Library, must be converted to GB pounds sterling and include evidence of exchange rate on the day of transaction.
How to apply
The complete application form should include:
- personal details
- an outline of the sources to be consulted in line with essential criteria above
- an up to date CV
- an up to date list of relevant publications
- one reference in support of the application.
Information about the intended research project should also be included in the application form. You need to provide the following details across no more than two pages of A4:
- title of project
- proposed start and end date
- research vision
- intended outputs.