We can advise on funding available to pay Open Access fees where necessary. In many cases you can comply with Open Access requirements without paying a fee, by uploading your Author Accepted Manuscript in Pure.
Essential information about Open Access
- Institutional Open Access requirements
- What do I need to do?
- Upload to PURE
- Open Access costs
- What is my funder’s policy?
- Help and support
The four UK Funding Councils (including SFC, and led by Research England) have introduced an Open Access Policy for the next Research Excellence Framework (REF). In order to be eligible for REF2021, the policy requires articles and conference proceedings to be deposited in an institutional repository when they are accepted for publication. St Andrews has embedded the policy as an institutional requirement.
Make sure your work can meet institutional and REF requirements by entering the details of your publications into Pure and at the same time uploading your Author Accepted Manuscript in Pure for all articles and proceedings.
*Please note as of 1 Nov 2017, RCUK funds are only available to cover APC costs in fully Open Access journals. See details on our OA funding page.
Make sure your work can meet institutional and REF requirements by uploading your Author Accepted Manuscript* in Pure as soon as possible along with the date of acceptance. *This is your full text version of the manuscript after peer review and including any final changes, but before publisher typesetting or copy-editing by the publisher. Please do not upload final publisher versions, or typeset proofs.
Log in to Pure and upload your paper as soon as it is accepted – the Library will take care of the rest.
Crucial actions for researchers:
- Acknowledged funders in publications, including grant number(s)
- Deposit your author accepted manuscript in Pure at the point of acceptance, along with the date of acceptance – the Library will then be able to see all the details, complete the record, and can give appropriate advice
- Link publications with the relevant grant in Pure
- Send any queries with details of your accepted manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org
See our Pure help pages for guidance on how to deposit.
See futher guidance from Hefce on the Open Access Policy: HEFCE FAQ
Most funders require Open Access. These policies are a condition of grant, and it is important that all St Andrews authors know how to comply.
See our funder policy pages for additional information.
We offer support and information on many different aspects of Open Access. We can
- support researchers to achieve Open Access and comply with funders’ policies
- provide guidance on licensing, versions and individual publisher deals
- offer advice on funding available to pay Open Access fees, and when you need to select a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence
- information and reports on usage statistics for open access content in St Andrews Research Repository
- and we are keen to work with Schools to develop efficient mechanisms for deposit in Pure.
If you would like us to visit your School or Department, please email: email@example.com
Additional support is available for Research Data Management from firstname.lastname@example.org
The Library Open Access blog is a useful resource for the latest policy announcements and updates and features a variety of posts on all things OpenAccess@StAndrews and beyond.