Our microform collection is located in store (except the heavily used title: St Andrews Citizen 1872 - present, which is located next to the Microform reader on Level 4 of the Main Library), please ask at the Library Help Desk to view this collection. Our microform collection can be identified in SAULCAT, the online catalogue.
The collection comprises:
About 5,000 microfilms, mainly of periodicals, are held. Major titles are:
- The Times 1785 - present (including supplements - TLS, THES, etc).
- The Scotsman 1817 - 1927; 1965 - present (1928 - 1964 is held in hard-copy).
- Le Monde 1973 - present.
- Command Papers 1922 - 1977.
The remainder of the collection consists of short runs of periodicals.
If you need to locate articles or reports in the Times, Times Literary Supplement, Times Higher Education Supplement, etc, then look in the following indexes:
- Times Index 1785 - present: updated monthly; in hard-copy is in store.
- Palmers Index to the Times 1790 - 1905: in store.
- Please note, however, that microfilm versions of The Times and its Indexes are now superseded by the Times Digital Archive 1785- 1985 database, which supports efficient keyword searching.
Approximately 33,000 microfiches are held. Major titles are:
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers 1981 - present. (Please note, however, that this microfiche collection is superseded by the House Of Commons Parliamentary Papers database, which covers 1688 - present.)
- House of Lords Parliamentary Papers 1985 - present.
- European Union COM documents 1983 - present.
- Mother Ireland political literature 1966 -1987.
The remainder of the collection consists of miscellaneous research projects. Some are pictorial rather than text-based eg a complete collection of photographs of items in the Burrell Collection.
Some 70,000 are held; nearly all are:
- British Parliamentary Papers 1731 - 1921.
An obsolete format. Several hundred microcards are held, mainly parts of periodical runs of which the Library does not hold the hard-copy.
Equipment to read microform is available on level 4 of the Main Library.
Printing from this equipment is free.