Skip navigation to content

Using a personal computer at the University

Almost everyone working at the University today uses a personal computer on his or her desk, and if you need to use a personal computer to do your job at the University one will be provided for you.  This may be a new machine or one inherited from a previous member of staff.  

The predominant type of personal computer used by staff in the service units is the Microsoft Windows-based PC.  In schools it is a much more mixed situation with a fair number of Macintosh and other systems.  During your time at the University you will obtain, use, and dispose of one or more personal computers.  Whether you are starting a job at the University, moving office or department, or leaving the University, there are recognised practices for dealing with the acquisition, moving and disposal of your personal computer.

  • Leaving the University: your computer account

Quick answers

See if your question is answered in our quick answers.

Contact the IT Service Desk

Log a call using IT Self-Service
(01334 46) 3333
 Message us on Skype for Business
(Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 17:00)

Level 2
University Library
North Street
St Andrews
Fife KY16 9TR

Opening Hours
Mon - Fri
: 08:30-18:00
(front desk support
from 09:00)

Sat: 10:00-17:00
Sun: 11:00-18:00

The IT Service Desk is closed
for staff training on Fridays
between 09:30 and 10:30