Set up email on your PC or laptop
If you want to access your emails on your own device, follow the steps below. If you're using a campus PC or University-managed device, it should be set up already.
You can also access your email online on any device through Outlook on the Web in the Office 365 portal.
- Open Outlook 2013.
- If the Microsoft Outlook 2013 Startup wizard displays automatically:
- On the first page of the wizard, click Next.
- On the E-mail Accounts page of the wizard, click Next again to access the Add Account screen.
- If the Microsoft Outlook 2013 Startup wizard doesn’t appear:
- On the Outlook 2013 toolbar, click the File tab.
- Above the Account Settings button, click Add Account.
- On the Auto Account Setup page, ensure that Email Account is selected and then enter the following information:
- In the Your Name field, enter your name as you want it to appear on your emails.
- In the E-mail Address field, enter your St Andrews University email address (userID@st-andrews.ac.uk).
- In the Password field, enter your password. Re-enter the password in the Retype Password field.
- Click Next.
- Wait for Outlook to find your server. This could take a few minutes.
- If auto configure does not work enter outlook.office365.com in the server field.
- Click Finish once Outlook has completed configuring your Office 365 account.
- Launch Outlook 2011 (Mac).
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- On the Add an Account screen, click Exchange Account.
- If you do not see the Exchange Account option, click the “+” symbol in the lower left-hand corner to open the pull-down menu. Choose Exchange from this pull-down menu.
- On the Enter your Exchange account information screen, enter the following information:
- In the E-mail address field, enter your St Andrews University email address (userID@st-andrews.ac.uk).
- From the Method pull-down menu, choose User Name and Password.
- In the User name field, enter your St Andrews University email address (userID@st-andrews.ac.uk).
- In the Password field, enter your password.
- Check the box next to Configure Automatically.
- If auto configure doesn't not work enter outlook.office365.com in the server field.
- Click Add Account to finish configuring your account.
- In the top-left corner of your screen, select the Apple icon, then select System Preferences.
- Select Mail, Contact & Calendars.
- Select the Microsoft Exchange button in the right-hand column.
- Enter your Name, email address and your University password.
- If AutoDiscover does not configure the settings for you then enter Server; outlook.office365.com
- An Account Summary window will show. Verify that your information is correct, then click Continue.
- Tick all the boxes the synchronise Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Notes.
IMAP and SMTP settings
Use your mail client's settings to specify whether to use IMAP or POP. Connection details for your incoming mail server are as follows:
Connection security: SSL/TLS or STARTTLS
Connection details for your email client's outgoing mail server are as follows:
Connection security: STARTTLS