EAP conference at the University of St Andrews
The International Education Institute (IE) has held events for teaching professionals for the last ten years. What started as a workshop back in 2011 has become a conference recognised by English for Academic Purposes (EAP) professionals from all over the world as a go-to event for sharing ideas and best practice.
'Transitions and Tribulations: EAP at the crossroads' marks the 10th anniversary of our annual EAP conference. It was always our intention to make this a special conference – and different, and of course, like everything else in recent months, it certainly will be different. The theme is transitions, which can have a wide variety of interpretations – moving online, from school to university, UG to PG, TEFL to EAP, to name but a few.
The conference will be entirely online, on Microsoft Teams, as planning a live event is fraught with uncertainties, but we have seen that such events can be very fulfilling. Many of the plenary speakers from previous St Andrews conferences are returning to mark our 10th anniversary, and we hope that we will ‘meet’ many old friends again, as well as welcome new ones. Master’s students are particularly welcome and we encourage you to make poster or pecha kucha presentations.
The conference will take place on Saturday 27 February 2021.
Deadline for proposals
The deadline for submitting a proposal is now Tuesday 1 December 2020, not 30 January 2021 as initially advertised.
IE invite proposals for presentations or posters (especially Master's students) under the following areas:
- Transitions to online/blended teaching
- Transitions to online/blended learning
- Transitions from school writing/genres to university writing/genres
- Transitions to English-speaking university/culture
- Stepping up from UG to PG or from Masters to PhD writing
- Transitions in the field of EAP over the past ten years
- The changing place of EAP practitioners in the academy
- Use of transitions in academic writing
- Transitions of the EAP profession (e.g. to more discipline-specific than general)
- Transitioning the value base of EAP, from post-colonial to world Englishes.
Take a look at the archive below to get a snapshot of previous EAP conferences, and presentations available for download.