Skip navigation to content

Frequently asked questions


Q.  When do I get paid?

A.  You get paid the second last working day of the month.

Q.  Do I get a hard copy payslip?

A.  No the University has an online service whereby you can view and print your payslip as and when required.  If you require copies to be verified this can be done by bringing a printed copy to the Salaries office. The self service facility can be found at:

Q.  How do I change my personal details i.e. bank account/home address/emergency contact?

A.  You can change these details through the self service facility which can be found at:

Q.  How do I change my name/marital status?

A.  You are required to provide documentation of the change.  Please contact the Pensions Administrator, Lisa Harley ext. 2546.

Q.  Where do I find my payroll/ID number?

A.  You can find this on your staff identification card under your Surname.  Disregard the digits 6900.

Q.  Where can I find the salary scales?

A.  The current salary scales can be found at: under Documents.

Q. Where can I find the cut off dates?

A. The current cut off dates can be found at:

Q. Where can I find information regarding Childcare Vouchers?

A. Childcare Voucher information can be found at:



Q.  How do I make sure I am on the right tax code?

A.  Information can be found at however if you are still unsure please contact salaries for guidance.

Q.  What does my tax code mean?

A. Your tax code is made up of your tax free allowance.  E.g. Tax code 944L equals £9449 tax free in any tax year, this is split over the full tax year period April – March.

Q.  What is the tax reference number/PAYE?

A.  This is a university number not an individual number and is specific to the University of St Andrews – 961/8001224. This can also be found on the landing page for payslips in self-service.

Q.  What is paysave?

A.  Paysave is a pension contribution which is a salary sacrifice scheme please see: or



Q.  How do I raise a casual/bank contract?

A.  You can find full details and instructions at:

Q.  What rate can I pay someone on a casual/bank contract?

A.  The Casual/Bank rates can be found at:  If you wish to pay a rate that is not stated please contact


Staff Expenses

Q.  How do I claim business related expenses?

A.  You can complete a staff expenses claim form which can be found at:  

Q.  What can I claim as staff expenses?

A.  The expenses policy can be found at  If you are unsure whether an item can be claimed please contact Salaries before the expense is incurred.



A.  What pension scheme am I eligible to join? 

Q.  If you are Grades 1 – 5, and meet the criteria, you will automatically be enrolled into NOW: Pensions, but you do have the right to join the University of St Andrews S&LAS.  If you are Grades 6 – 9, you will automatically be enrolled into USS

Q.  How much will it cost me?

A.  The Schemes are funded through a combination of your contributions which are tax-free and contributions from your employer.

The contribution rates for employees in the scheme are: 




USS (Final Salary)



USS (Career Revalued)






NOW: Pensions



Q.  What will my pension be?

A. The S&LAS and USS (Final Salary) pension schemes are both defined benefit (Final Salary) schemes which means that the pension is based on your final pensionable salary and your years of service.

Your retirement benefits are in two parts:

An annual Pension calculated as:-

  • 1/80 x pensionable service x final pensionable salary

A one-off, tax-free Lump-sum:

  • 3/80 x pensionable service x final pensionable salary

Q.  What is auto enrolment and NOW: Pensions?

A.  If you do not currently pay into S&LAS, the University will be required, by law, to automatically enrol you into a pension scheme if you are: 

  • Aged between 22 and State Pension Age;
  • Earning above the statutory minimum amount of £787 per month. 

If you do not meet the criteria, you will not be automatically enrolled but you do have the option to join NOW: Pensions.

Q.   When I am entitled to my State Pension?

A.  The current state pension age for women is currently increasing gradually from 2010, so that by 2020 it will be age 65.  The increase in the State Pension age will not affect women born on or before 5 April 1950. Women born between 6 April 1950 and 5 April 1955 (inclusive) will have a State Pension age between 60 and 65. Women born on or after 6 April 1955 will have a State Pension age of 65.

The State Pension age for both men and women is to increase gradually from 65 to 68 between the years 2024 and 2046.



Human Resources

Salaries and Pensions
The Old Burgh School
Abbey Walk

St Andrews
KY16 9LB
Scotland, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1334 462569
Fax:+44 (0)1334 462570