1) Eastern Orthodox (Orthodox Churches covering Greece, Eastern Europe and Russia).
2) Coptic (Egyptian, Syrian, Orthodox Church).
Local Place of Worship:
St Marks Coptic Orthodox Church of Scotland
264 Links Street
Tel: 01592 643 333
- Every Sunday worship from 10am to 12:30pm
- Sunday School & Youth Groups
- Fife Egyptian Association meetings
Image of when the E&D Officer attended the Sunday Service
in Arabic & English at the St Marks Coptic Church, Kirkcaldy:
Dress/Jewellery/Identity: Some forbid the use of cosmetics and require their female members to dress particularly modestly.
Drink: Alcohol is not permitted.
Food: Some may abstain from meat on a Friday.
Fasting: Some fast before receiving Holy Communion on Sunday, 40 day fasting before Easter abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, meat and cheese. Egyptian Coptic Church members observing fasting nearly for 7 months a year and eat vegan food only during this period.
Festivals and Observances:
1) Nativity of Christ.
2) Christmas Eve: Celebrated as the day before Christmas Day.
3) Christmas Day: Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.
4) Good Friday: Observance of the death of Jesus Christ (two days before Easter).
5) Easter Day: Observance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
6) Sundays are observed for a day of worship.