PIETERSZ, JONAS [SSNE 8381]
- PIETERSZ, PETERSON
- First name
- JONAS, JORIS
- LYE(?), LYME REGIS ?, LOOE ?
- Social status
Jonas Pietersz was an English fisherman impressed into the Prince of Orange's privateering fleet (Sea-Beggars or Watergeuzen) in March 1571. He served under Sea-Beggar captain Gielis van Sneek. He was taken prisoner when Admiral Francois van Boschuysen defeated the Sea-Beggar fleet off Emden on 23 June 1571. He was imprisoned in The Hague and hanged in July 1571.
J.C.A. de Meij, De Watergeuzen en de Nederlanden, 1568-1572 (Amsterdam, 1972), p. 325.
F. Vogels '[Pietersz, Jonas]' in P.C. Molhuysen, P.J. Blok (eds.), Nieuw Nederlandsch Biografisch Woordenboek, VIII (Leiden, 1930), p. 1254-1255.
This entry created by Mr Jack Abernethy.
- THE LOW COUNTRIES, PRINCE OF ORANGE, SEA-BEGGAR FLEET
- Arrived 1571-03-01, as SAILOR
- Departed 1571-07-31, as SAILOR
- Capacity PRIVATEER, purpose NAVAL, MARITIME