PIPER, WILLIAM [SSNE 8362]
William Piper was an English privateer ('Sea-Beggar' or 'Watergeuzen') in the service of the Prince of Orange between 1571 and 1572.
A William Piper was also involved in the Earl of Leicester's expedition to the Netherlands and was appointed lieutenant of artillery to Sir Richard Bingham in 1587.
J.C.A. de Meij, De Watergeuzen en de Nederlanden, 1568-1572 (Amsterdam, 1972), p. 316.
TNA, SP 84/18, f. 11.
This entry created by Mr Jack Abernethy.
- THE LOW COUNTRIES, PRINCE OF ORANGE, SEA-BEGGAR FLEET
- Arrived 1571-01-01, as CAPTAIN
- Departed 1572-12-31, as CAPTAIN
- Capacity PRIVATEER, purpose NAVAL, MARITIME
- THE LOW COUNTRIES, THE DUTCH REPUBLIC, EARL OF LEICESTER'S ARMY
- Arrived 1587-01-01, as LIEUTENANT
- Departed 1587-12-31, as LIEUTENANT
- Capacity OFFICER, purpose MILITARY